Author Topic: Linkstation Live and Seagate Freeagent 1TB  (Read 4243 times)

hedly

• Calf
Linkstation Live and Seagate Freeagent 1TB
« on: March 31, 2009, 11:06:49 PM »

I have searched the forums and have found some similar topics, but not exactly...so i am posting.

I have a LinkStation Live 320 (HS-DH320GL) which I have had for several years. It works great hosting all my music, home videos, and backing up our two WinXP computers.  Now I am backing up my DVDs and making it so we can watch them on the home theater PC without needing to load the disk.  So, to house all the DVDs I have just purchased a Seagate FreeAgent Desk USB 1TB drive.

I didn't create a specific share, I merely map to usbdisk1. I tried to make a shared folder on that drive, but I couldn't.  I want only the DVDs on that drive.

I reformatted the usb drive to ext3 and then began transferring over some of our videos.  It was working fine, but I have been worried about the usb drive going to sleep.  Well, it happened...the usb drives seems to go to sleep.  The first thing that happens is that the drive becomes read only but I can still see my "Movies" and "Lost+Found" folder.  After some time (not sure how long, but usually over night) nothing shows up in the mapped drive.  In the disk management of the NAS the drive is still mounted and the size and space used still shows up, but I am guessing it is merely cashed info.

The only way to get it to work again is to reboot the linkstation.  I think it also worked by disconnecting/unplugging the drive and then reconecting it.

So, what can I do.  How do I stop the drive from shutting down?  I need it to stay up so that we can easily access them from the home theater PC and not have to reboot it.  Many of the movies are for our little boy and he does not have the patience to wait (nor do I for that matter).  The NAS Navigator2 still shows that info as well.

The NAS is attached to a Linksys Router if that makes any difference.  All computers on the network are WinXP Pro or Home.

Thanks in advance for you help,

Message Edited by hedly on 03-31-2009 11:13 PM

ad1787

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Live and Seagate Freeagent 1TB
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:26:39 AM »
   Did you use Seagate Manager software, Click on Settings button in the lower right, click "adjust power settings" and set the power saving mode to "never" ?

hedly

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:38:02 AM »

The free agent software...will that work if it is not attached directly to my computer?  I did not bother installing it because it was not going to my computer.

So, your saying that I can install it on my computer, hook the drive up to my computer directly, change the power settings, then hook it back up to the Linkstation?

I will try that when I get home tonight.

hedly

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »

Well, it worked:smileyvery-happy:.  Even though I had already formatted the drive to ext3, the software seems to work in the firmware or something and nowt he drive does not spin down.  I installed it on my PC; hooked up the usb drive, and modified it like you said.

One note for future users, be sure to hook the drive up to your local machine first before you format it.  The software is on the hard drive and not on a CD.  When you hook it up the first time it will want to autorun and install the software.  I am guessing you can make the power modification first, then unplug it from your pc and hook it up to the NAS.  Even though it is already formatted NTFS, the NAS will allow you to reformat it to ext3 or xfs.

Now I'm backing up or favorite movies and we can watch them on any PC in the house.

SWEET!!!:smileywink:

Thanks.

Message Edited by hedly on 04-03-2009 06:35 PM