Author Topic: LinkStation and Vista  (Read 6595 times)

rzunig1

• Calf
LinkStation and Vista
« on: March 26, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »

Ok, here's the story.

My wifes laptop crashed and had to be re-imaged.  I did that, but now when she tries to connect to the Linkstation (HD-250LAN), she can get to it and see all of the folders, but can't get to any of the shared folders that I created.  She can get into the default "info" folder, but the others, it asks for a login, and when I try to use any of the 3 ID's I created (that have access to the folders), I get "login failed".  I know this is a vista thing, but not sure how to solve it.  She had no problems getting to any of the folders before the re-image, so I know that Vista works with my LS (plus, I had to upgrade my firmware when she first got her vista laptop, and all was well after that-until the re-image).  

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to get my wife's Vista Business laptop, to be able to access all of the shared folders on my LS again?  I'm hoping it's just a setting somewhere.

I know that the IDs/PWs are good, because I tested them from my laptop.  

We have a wireless network using a linksys wireless N router, and the linkstation is hooked to the router, both of our laptops connect to the router/LS wirelessly.

As I said, she never had a problem accessing the shared folders before the crash.

Please help.

(Let me know if you need any more information)

Message Edited by rzunig1 on 03-26-2009 09:53 PM

kevin

• El Toro
Re: LinkStation and Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »

Disconnect any already mapped drives and try again, mapping restricted folders before un-restricted folders.

What Firmware version is on the unit?

Do you have any access restrictions on ANY folders?

Try creating a new user (and add that to the restrictions, if any) then try using that to connect.

rzunig1

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:08:24 PM »

There are no mapped drives that I can see (What's the best way to check and make sure there are no drives mapped?).  The firmware version is 2.05, which I believe is the last version before it was discontinued.  I have tried to create a new ID, but still no luck.

Access restrictions is enabled on all folders, and she can get to it if I disable it, but I thought it safer to require an ID/PW, and have had access restrictions on all folders since day one.  As I mentioned, nothing has changed on the LS and she had access before her laptop was re-imaged (new hdd was installed and new motherboard was installed under warranty).  I don't want to remove the access restrictions, because I have the FTP server active, and I don't want freinds that connec to that particular folder, to be able to see all of my other folders.  I just don't understand why she can see all folders, but can't get to any of them. It would be nice to know what has to be done on Vista in order to make it work correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Message Edited by rzunig1 on 03-27-2009 10:37 PM

rzunig1

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 01:01:09 PM »
   Ok, I tried to map a drive to one of the folders on the LS, but it said that it is already mapped (which I believe it is, as it normally tries to connect using the id of admin, and I just overwrite the admin ID with the ID i created for the folder, but still doesn't work), but where do I find the list of mapped drives and how do I disconnect/remove them?  Looking at the computer folder, it only shows her hard drive and her external drive and nothing else, so there must be a way to find the list of mapped drives and be able to remove them.
Message Edited by rzunig1 on 03-28-2009 12:02 PM

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »
If the drive is Mapped, it should show up in "Computer" then you can right click it and select disconnect.

rzunig1

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »
   Nope, nothing under computer except her hard drive and her external hard drive, so nothing is showing as mapped, even though the new message I get says it is already mapped.  I don't get it.

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 09:46:46 PM »

1. Have you turned off Windows Defender yet?

2. Goto command prompt and try pinging the Linkstation's IP address. See if there's any reply.

3. If still in command prompt, run    net use    . See if there's any drive or user connected.

rzunig1

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »

I will try to run those commands, and try turning off defender.  Thanks.

Ok, net use showed nothing, the ping was successful, which makes sense because I can see the LS from the Vista laptop, and can see all of the folders, but I just can't access any of the folders using any of the ID's I created for them, but all ID's tested successfully from my XP laptop.

I turned off windows defender, and will try accessing the folders again shortly (The wife is working on the laptop now)

Message Edited by rzunig1 on 03-29-2009 09:07 PM

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 06:51:32 AM »

open the protocols you have installed for ipv4 on the LAN card and let me know ALL the ones that are listed. Have you changed the registery:

1. Run the Local Security Policy app - secpol.msc

2. Go to Local Policies | Security Options and choose the ?Network Security: LAN Manager Authentican Level? item

3. Set it to ?Send LM & NLTM, use NTMLv2 session if negotiated?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »
Well I might be able to save him some time. Go here (it was on our firmware download page for the LinkStation) and please include the model next time, it helps eliminate guess work ;)
Message Edited by Dustrega on 07-10-2009 02:17 AM

rzunig1

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »

The model is in my first post.

I will give it a shot!  Thanks.

Message Edited by rzunig1 on 03-30-2009 11:23 AM

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
Oops there it is.

rzunig1

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 02:00:40 PM »
   That was it!  Thanks for the help, much appreciated.