Author Topic: Terastation III questions  (Read 4369 times)

rinthos

• Buffalo
Terastation III questions
« on: March 11, 2009, 02:08:01 AM »

* Aside from the disk drive sizes, are there any other differences between the Terastation III with 2TB (4 x 500GB drives), and the Terastation with 6TB (4 x 1.5TB drives)?? (In particular ram, processor speed, etc).

* How much ram/memory do the Terastation III models come with, and is it upgradable? (and if so to how much, and is the upgrade supported or no?).

* How does the 'replicaiton' feature of the Terastation III work? Is it file-level for each CIFS/NFS filesystem? Snapshot based or raw data based?  If file-based, what happens if files are currently being written during a scheduled 'replication'?  Finally, assuming 2 Terastations connected via 1Gbps, is there any advised way to calculate time to replicate?  Trying to define RPO + RTO.

* Finally, does Buffalo provide a list of 'supported drive' models for this NAS device? Or is it just a trial+error? (For example, some drives have special firmware for encryption, power savings, etc.  Is there a recommended brand/models based on Buffalo's testing?).

Thanks!

Message Edited by rinthos on 03-11-2009 12:09 AM

rinthos

• Buffalo
Re: Terastation III questions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 02:50:23 AM »

anyone? :)

(Bueller, Bueller)

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:33:59 PM »

any input would be appreciated.  thanks!

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:23:27 PM »

Sorry for the delay.

1. No

2.  Not certain I don't have any concrete docs in front of me atm. But i believe it's somewhere in the range of 512 to 1 gb ddr2. And no, it's not upgradeable.

3. And you can use any drive you want, the stock firmware on most normal drives should work fine. 

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »

Jason,

Thanks sir.