Author Topic: Allowing access to a domain user on a Linkstation setup for workgroup access  (Read 8389 times)

phonejill

• Calf

I'm a home user of a LinkStation and have setup all of the household PCs (all Windows) on the "HOME" Workgroup. The LinkStation "Network" settings are set to that Workgroup (for "Type" and "Name"). All is well.

Now i come home with my Windows laptop from work and attach to my local home network and can do everything except "see" the LinkStation. Is there a way for me to connect to the LinkStation over the LAN even though when I login to it it's in a corporate Domain, and not a Workgroup?

kevin

• El Toro

Whats steps have you taken to show that it isn't the LS?

What is the LS model? What is the FW?

What OS is on your comp?

phonejill

• Calf

Oh, good questions. Here are the details (sorry for not being more specific originally):

- LS model: LS-W 2.0 TGL/R1

- laptop from work, all PCs involved, and the LS itself are running/setup for WinXP OS

- Firewall:

- no hardware FW

- maybe something on my router? (not sure what to look for) 

- Windows Firewall SW on my laptop is "ON" and I'm running antivirus from ESET (NOD32)-  but that doesn't appear to have any firewall capabilities

- laptop connected to LAN via both wired ethernet and via wireless 

- Attempted to browse to the LS by opening Windows Explorer and using path to the LS (by name I assigned it) that i use on other PCs on the LAN ("\\Linkstn_NAS\share") 

- ERROR: "\\Linkstn_NAS\share is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. ... The network path was not found."

NOTE: after i could not browse to the device on the laptop (got above error) I later COULD access it, during the same session. I didn't knowingly change anything to permit this. Now (a couple days later) i am getting the error again when trying to connect using the same Explorer shortcut created when i could connect.

Thanks for any help you can offer! 

kevin

• El Toro

Alright,

Do you have the NAS Navigator and does that find the unit? If so, what FirmWare version is it?

Have you tried going to Start> Run> \\(IP of the LS)?

Sabrerain

• Calf

I am having exactly the same issue: I cannot connect using start>run> \\Linkstation\share

Using NAS Navigator 2.11 and have firmware 2.10, Linkstation work great in every other way

Does anyone have any other ideas ?

phonejill

• Calf

Regarding "Start> Run> \\(IP of the LS)":

I tried that, and was immediately connected to the NAS!

So the problem is with the name resolution, not the access permissions? 

In case it matters in helping others, i do have a user setup on the NAS whose login info matches my laptop's domain login info (trying to effectuate a single login). Maybe that's why i connected without being prompted for any credentials (or maybe that's just because my IP addresses identifies me as local to the NAS' network...?).

Thanks for your help!! 

kevin

• El Toro

phonejill..

Yes, it could be an issue with resolving the name or with a software firewall not working correctly...

As for the log in information, if the LS is connected to the domain that your comp is on then it will automatically log you in. If not, then your comp could have saved the info for the the device from previous log in(s).

kevin

• El Toro

Sabrerain...

Have you tried updating Firmware for the unit?

Instead of typing in Linkstations\share

Try typing in the IP address of the LS only with a folder name, \\IP.