Author Topic: LS-320GL Bricked -- unable to access  (Read 4010 times)

junker

• Calf
LS-320GL Bricked -- unable to access
« on: March 03, 2009, 12:46:46 PM »

LS-320GL (Gen 1) Has been in operation for almost 2 years. Had a static IP of 30.0.0.25, lost connectivity to it's shares recently. I am able to ping the drive, nothing else. No FTP, no HTTP, no SSH, etc. Turns on as expected, plays the short happy tune like normal, Power & Link LEDs come on, link blinks randomly, Hard drive sounds like it's working. Info & Error LEDs are OFF.

NasNavi was initially able to see the unit but I couldn't do anything to it. Did some reading online, decided to try EM mode. Unable to access via 192.168.11.150 (I had me NIC set to 192.168.11.1 and used a crossover cable direct to linkstation). Tried TFTP boot. It reported blocks served to 192.168.11.150 which tells me there is some form of communication happening. Still unable to access via Shares, FTP, HTTP, SSH, and now unable to ping too.

LSUpdater unable to find the unit. NasNavi & LSUpdater seem to remember when it was on 30.0.0.25 and list that upon launching even though it's not there anymore. Have tried angry IP scanner on both subnets 30.0.0.X and 192.168.11.X with nothing found.

Bricked?

P.S. The fan on the back of the unit doesn't come on. It spins freely with a paperclip though, not seized. Perhaps fan died and unit overheated and sustained thermal damage?

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: LS-320GL Bricked -- unable to access
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
Try wiring the device directly to your pc, disable any firewalls on the PC, and see if the NASNavigator finds it. If it does, try updating the firmware.

junker

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I was beginning to think no one wanted to touch this with a 10' pole.

Please notice in my original post that I did have it interfaced directly to my computer via an ethernet crossover cable.  Also, I forgot to mention, I have no firewalls other than the Windows XP firewall which I did have disabled.

Are there any last ditch effort "all-or-nothing" things I can try?  Don't care about the data on the drive.  Is there a hard reset I can do that will restore everything to factory defaults?

Why does it succesfully boot to TFTP but I still can't talk to it?

Thanks!  Don't give up on me yet.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »
Once the device has pulled the two files off TFTP, it will take up to a full minute to boot into emergency mode. Then, it should show up in nasnavigator with -EM in the hostname, then you can flash the firmware.

junker

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »

Ok... got it working.  Here's how:

1.  Gave up.

2.  Tore the thing apart to see what was inside.

3.  Broke the aligment tab on the fan power connector when disconnecting the fan.

4.  Hooked up another fan to test, still no fan spin.  Maybe thermally controlled?

5.  Looked and poked around inside.  Measured chipset temp, 43 degrees C.

6.  Made it freak out due to lack of hard drive hookup.

7.  Measured voltages from power supply.

8.  Totally gave up, reassembled.

9.  Hooked up, it started, was able to see it with NasNavi at its original IP.  (Still no access to it though).

10.  Finally was able to flash firmware.

11.  Cursed and figured out how to switch it from Japanses to English.

Works now.

Not sure if I trust the unit at this point so I am going to use it for a non critical purpose.