Author Topic: Web Access of NAS attached to Router attached to DSL Modem  (Read 3889 times)

cdte

• Calf
Web Access of NAS attached to Router attached to DSL Modem
« on: March 02, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »

Hello.  I have a LinkStation Pro Duo (Model # LS.WTGL/R1).  I have firmware version 3.07.  I recently switched locations and Internet hardware.  Before I had a dynamic DSL connection, with a modem connected to a switch connected to my NAS.

Now I have a new DSL modem, attached to router, attached to the NAS.  Everything functions well inside the internal network, however, I'm not sure what I need to do to enable Web Access in terms of port forwarding, etc.  I've tried the automatic settings, but that didn't work.  Please advise how to set my Web Access settings (done by logging into the NAS), my modem, and my router.  Before I just added port forwarding of port 9000 on my modem, and configured Web Access the same way.  But now I'm not sure with a new, more complicated modem (with more options on which direction, and types of port forwarding) as well as a router (more complicated that a switch).  Thank you for any help you can offer!

cbergeson

• Calf
Re: Web Access of NAS attached to Router attached to DSL Modem
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »
There are not really any changes that need to be made in the linkstation's gui if web access worked before, one thing that you may want to try is to change what port the unit is using from port 9000 to port 9005 (no specific reason for the port number).  As for the port forwarding on your new modem the only advice I can give is to try to set the modem to bridge mode, which would bypass the need to open ports on the modem.  Otherwise you may want to contact the manufacturer for those devices to be sure that you have that port 9000/9005 forwarded correctly.

cdte

• Calf

Here was my problem.  My modem is a modem/router and I had another (wireless) router attacted to it.  This means there were two routers, when each network should only have one.  With two routers, port forwarding is not possible, even though internet browsing and the home network were functioning correctly.  I had to make my modem/router a bridge and let my (wireless) router do all the work.  My ISP was very helpful changing my modem/router to a bridge, and letting my (wireless) router handle the routing and port forwarding. 

If you have a modem/router, you should buy switches and/or wireless access points to have an expanded home network.  Or, if you only have a modem (no router or wireless) you can buy a router or wireless router, but only one, any network only needs one router, and everything else connecting to it (computers, switches, wireless access points, NAS, gaming consoles, etcetera).  NOTE:(most modems, especially DSL modems have routers built in, definately if they have wireless and/or more than one jack for connecting computers with cables) you can buy a router or wireless router.  

After that I simply need to configure my NAS to allow web access using any port (9000 for example), and have my router forward that port.

I hope this helps someone else.