Author Topic: LinkStation Live (HS DH500GL) 4 LED flash code.  (Read 5741 times)

ddphillips

• Calf
LinkStation Live (HS DH500GL) 4 LED flash code.
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:30:56 PM »

LinkStation Live (HS DH500GL) error coded during a disk read transfer with a 4 LED flash code. After a reboot, the NAS entered to EM Mode and was "seen" by the router, assigned 192.168.0.4, but not recognized on the network. Downloaded LSUpdater software and ran the updater. Updater ran fine until the very end "Waiting for finish of rebooting..." Popup window appeared saying "Waited for 360(s) seconds but couldn't confirm a response from HS-DHGL. Do you want to wait it again?" Clicked <yes>. Linkstation then errored with the same 4 LED flash codes.

Yes, antivirus is off and firewall is down. Tried running updater with the /force switch with the same results. Tried TFTP to no avail.

The strange thing is that between the 360 seconds it's "waiting" for the confirmation response and when it error codes again, network devices (i.e. my desktop computer) can read and write files to the NAS! Go figure.

Tech support says the 4 short red lights indicates a ROM problem but my Linkstation Live Manual says it's a Fan problem. I checked and yes, the fan is NOT running. I asked tech support if this was normal and they said it was. The fan is on a temp sensor and only runs when necessary. Is that right? I wonder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the NAS has many important files. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions? Or is it as simple as replacing the cooling fan.

ddphillips

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Live (HS DH500GL) 4 LED flash code.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:53:49 AM »

OK, fan is on a temp sensor. It's running now.

I managed to get it to work (temporarily) by:

1) Rebooting the router.

2) While holding in the red button on the back and powering up the NAS

3) In about a minute, it was recognized by the router (Device Name: LINKSTATION) and the share was available across the network.

I pulled ALL the files off the NAS and onto my server's RAID array so everything on the NAS is now backed up.

Tried to run Buffalo NAS Navigator - Couldn't find the NAS device.

Tried to run LSUpdater - Couldn't find the NAS device.

Shares still available across the network.

Turned off LinkStation and back on... Back to square 1 with 4 LED flash code.

Where do I go from here???

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »
While it's in that mode, which is called EM mode by the way, try flashing the firmware. If that doesn't work you'll have to contact tech support for a replacement.

ddphillips

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:44:20 AM »

I did all that days ago (see beginning of thread). I have been working with tech support but we haven't had any success. Unfortunately (for me) the NAS is 2 months out of warranty and tech support says they don't do repairs on out of warranty products. Thus, the reason for the post.

I guess my options are:

1) Continue working the problem.

2) Pull the drive, reformat, reinstall and run LSUpdater to try and restore to factory.

3) Pull the drive, pitch the case and hey... I got a spare 500Gb drive.

I would like to continue with option 1 but have run out of ideas. Am I wasting my time? Comments and help please...

BTW, still puzzled about the meaning of 4 LED flash code...

ddphillips

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 12:30:08 AM »

Well, I continued with Option 1 and I finally fixed the problem. Here's what I did.

1) Started LSupdater

2) Entered the debug mode (right clicking the blue top of the window and selecting Debug(D)...) and checked ALL of the boxes in the Update and Config sections.

3) Started the update.

It finished successfully.  Yes, I lost all my share data and configuration settings but, thankfully, I had it all backed up on the Server's RAID (210Gb of data).

Next problem was changing the GUI back to English (it was all in Japanese). That deserves another, separate post.

Now it's simply a matter of transferring everything the RAID back to the NAS shares folder. That should take all night... But that's OK.