Author Topic: My DriveStation HD-CEU2 is acting like a Thai Buffalo - Regularly Disconnects!  (Read 12718 times)

Somchai111

• Calf

Also ran the drives' generic Window's error-checking tool and the Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostic's Tool over the drive's two partitions. No problems found, both tool's checks showed no errors.

Rampant here for a solution. The kid needs his cartoons and wildlife shows.

Managed to run a defragment tool, O&O Defrag 10, completely over the first partition (without it disappearing) and it found like an extra 100 GBs of space, i,e., changed from 40 GBs of free space to over 140 GBs of free space. Don't know whether or not this is significant, but I certainly found it very unusual (however, I've had zero experience with heavy duty external drives. Only ever used USB flash drives).

Message Edited by Somchai111 on 11-27-2008 07:24 AM

Paul

• Big Bull
I would also run a disk check with windows on the same drive.  Please let me know if it drops off again

Somchai111

• Calf
   Yes, it's still up to its same old tricks, just dropped out again. Ran a chkdsk over drives C, K and L too.

Paul

• Big Bull
I think your at the point of trying another computer to see if you get the same results.  If you don't have another machine then you may want to try another USB controller, for example a 2.0 pci card.

Somchai111

• Calf

Mmm...already have USB2 mate,

SimoPP

• Calf
   This sounds very much like what I experienced few weeks ago with a new Linkstation Pro Duo before I made a FW update. That one was completely stock, just dropping offline occasionally. Now I have something similar going on with a new LS Live II but it doesn´t even let me to do a FW update. Very annoying indeed.

Paul

• Big Bull
At this piont i would try it on another controller, if you still have the same issue then I would contact support and set up an RMA. 

Somchai111

• Calf
   ^Cheers, sound advice mate. Looking into it now.

Somchai111

• Calf

Here's an update. The drive's been working for past three weeks. It hasn't dropped out again, even after a full defrag. I don't why it's suddenly come good, but I did also move home three weeks ago and subsequently had to unplug all the PC's cables. After the home relocation, they were all repluged back into the PC and the only change made was that the USB mouse had an adaptor added to it, so it could be plugged into the green PS/2 mouse connector and not a USB socket.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that the problems stay in the past.
:manhappy:

Somchai111

• Calf
   The above temporary 'voodoo' fix didn't hold. The drive went to pieces and reverted back to its former self. By investing in a USB Internal Bus Port PCI Card the problems are now solved. Don't know why the MB ports won't handle it though.