Author Topic: My DriveStation HD-CEU2 is acting like a Thai Buffalo - Regularly Disconnects!  (Read 12719 times)

Somchai111

• Calf

Hi:smileyhappy:

I've recently purchased a 500GB DriveStation HD-CE500U2 external drive and've been the using this drive, as two partitions (partitioned it myself, as a primary drive with an extended drive), for storage purposes and downloading video torrents.

The problem is that sometimes after a few hours, i.e., overnight and while I'm at work slaving my bollocks off, or after a couple of hours when I try to defrag either partition, the two drive letters disappear. I extract and replug the drive's USB cable back into the USB port, but to no avail, I must reboot the PC to get the drives back up and showing the drive letters again. Even went as far as unplugging the power cable and reinserting it!

Thought it may have been a power shortage, so upgraded to a 600 watt PSU, however the same problem still occurs.

Any answers to solve this problem? Is it my PC. a common problem (with a just as common fix), or should I just return it to the retailer? Could it be overheating (it's not sitting near anything which throws out heat, i.e., PC tower or monitor, not even the ADSL modem) or maybe a faulty USB cable?

This is one irritating water buffalo.

:smileyindifferent:

BTW, whilst the drive letters are missing, the drive still shows up in Device Manager.

Could it be possibly corrupted sectors in the drive itself? Can a poster recommend a suitable drive scan-repair tool?

If I was to return it to the computer shop which I bought it from, in the meantime I'd have to find somewhere to store 350GBs of data, so I rather not take this road and get it up and running on my own, with the forum's help, of course.

In dire staits here.

Beam me up Scotty! Is there anybody out there?

Message Edited by Somchai111 on 11-11-2008 08:38 AM

Paul

• Big Bull

what file format are the partitions in?

have you tried this drive on another pc as well? 

Somchai111

• Calf

Mate, it's file format is NTFS for both partitions.

I've only the one comp, so I'd need to have a buddy who'd let me leave it on his rig for a couple of hours defragging, or downloading files for a couple of hours. Putting thought into this right now, but would rather sort it out here.

Somchai111

• Calf
   Kinda independent I am, or mateless, maybe. Anyhow, I'd appreciate a response :smileyhappy:

Paul

• Big Bull
Does your model have a manual/auto switch on the unit?  If so switch it to manual

Somchai111

• Calf
   Actually there isn't a switch of any kind on the external casing.

Paul

• Big Bull
I would try to get a chipset update for you motherboard and operating system.

Somchai111

• Calf

...and a partridge in a pear tree huh? Are you serious or what? I've 1.6GHz of raw Pentium 4 and a solid ECS motherboard. Why wouldn't this support the external drive?

The MB chipset's BIOS is the latest update and the OS is Vista SP1.

You reckon it might be an OS glitch, eh? Can you elaborate a bit?

Message Edited by Somchai111 on 11-18-2008 07:48 AM

Paul

• Big Bull

At this point we are trying to eliminate as many possibilities as we can. 

When they disappear can you see them in the disk manager? 

Somchai111

• Calf

Cheers mate. I appreciate your assistance. When the drive drops out, in device manager, all the dialogue stays the same as pre-drive dropouts. Took a pic to share - post-drive dropout,

Message Edited by Somchai111 on 11-19-2008 07:58 AM

Paul

• Big Bull

Try right clicking on my computer then go to manage then storage then disk management.

do this when you are experiencing the problem and post a screen shot of that image. This will tell us if you PC has an issue with the file structure of the drive.  The device manager shows that its not a driver issue. 

Somchai111

• Calf
   Whoops! Just realized what you meant by Disk Manager. I'll have a look, after it drops out again, this afternoon, but right now (pre-dropout), it's showing up as a primary drive and a logical drive.

Somchai111

• Calf

OK, sorry for the week's break, but had a dirty stick of ram which needed addressing and upgraded to Vista SP3. No change though, drive still drops out. Whilst it's dropped out, it doesn't register in Disk Management,

Unfortunately I don't know how to directly display images to Buffalo forum.

Also, hope the rebellion here, in Thailand, doesn't affect our net connection, i.e., replies, etc.

Message Edited by Somchai111 on 11-27-2008 06:40 AM

Somchai111

• Calf
   Rebooting now and'll come back with a snap of post drop-out Disk Management...

Somchai111

• Calf