Author Topic: TeraStation: Can't access through web browser (or file browser) after firmware update  (Read 5086 times)

randyfl

• Calf

I updated the firmware on my TeraStation to the latest (was 1.12, upgrading to 2.16).  This supposedly succeeded.  However, afterwards I am unable to either configure the unit through the browser or see the file shares.  I could ping the address just fine.  The Client Utility can see the unit just fine.

So, I did the INIT thing, pressing the red button on the back for 15 seconds and watched it restart.  But this didn't change anything (except that the Client Utility now shows no Workgroupd, which is expected).  The IP address it is picking up through DHCP is the same as before (192.168.0.2) and the subnet mask is correct (255.255.255.0).  The host name according to the Client Utility is HD-HTGL-EM but the utility does not display the firmware revision (listed as "----").

I'm baffled as to how I can even configure the unit now.  Am I going to have to hook it directly to my computer and do the static IP address thing?  Seems a git extreme and wondering if it will even work.

Is it possible that the firmware update didn't really work right?

Model: HD-HTGL/R5 (640 GB) 

randyfl

• Calf

OK, this appears to be fixed.  I reran the firmware updater and one thing that was different is that before it did the update it gave me some message about 'restoration mode'.  So, I'm guessing the previous update was incomplete or failed in some way.

After this I can get the browser UI and the Client Utility shows more information.  So, I think I'm good. 

randyfl

• Calf

Oddly, I seem to have the same problem again.  Our TeraStation just stopped operating as a file server recently.

When I tried to check it out through a web browser it couldn't connect either.  I can, however, ping the IP address just fine.  When I run the client utility it finds it, but a) it shows the shipping host name instead of the one we gave it (and using that one through the browser also fails), and b) it doesn't show the firmware version or workgroup.

Since completing the firmware update fixed this in the past, I tried running the firmware updater again.  When I do this it comes back with this error:

"Couldn't confirm a response from the TeraStation.

Please check a network address of both PC and TeraStation.

Please invalidate it when the firewall of the PC is effective.

Updating is aborted."

I've tried accessing this from multiple machines on multiple OS's (Vista, XP) which previous could access and configure it just fine.  I have done the INIT button thing a couple of times with no improvement.  I've turned it off for a few minutes and back on with no improvement.  

What do I need to do next here?  Do I need to go through the hoops of connecting it directly to a PC with ethernet?  Are there other tools I can use to diagnose the problem?

Colin137

• Big Bull

Sorry about the late reply. I hope you've gotten the issue resolved by now, but if not, here's some suggestions:

Reboot the device and try updating it again. Make sure firewalls are disabled, and that the IP address of the computer and that of the Terastation agree (last number should be different). Try directly connecting the PC to the device with an ethernet cable.