Author Topic: DriveStation HD - HS750U2 (USB2) Constant Powering Down in Vista 64 Premium  (Read 6617 times)

Herbaceous

• Calf

Hi,

I've had a DriveStation HD - HS750U2 (USB2) for over a year now, and since I bought it I had problems with the occasional whirring down of the device, followed by a message "device not recognized'. It was not often that it occured, but was a pain none the less. I tried all my USB ports and all of them had the same problem.

Recently though it has been happening frighteningly often. In fact I am lucky to keep my backup drive running for more than about 30 seconds before it powers down and reboots its unit, cancelling anything I am transferring.

Is there a solution to this problem anywhere? I've hunted through these threads looking for something but have only found firmware updates etc for other models.

Please help!

Hopefully...

R

Herbaceous

• Calf
   No help at all? :( Not even a response from Buffalo. That's pretty bad customer service. I guess I won't buy any more of these products again then...

Colin137

• Big Bull
My apologies for the late reply. Have you tried turning the power switch to the Manual position? Have you tried the drive with any other computers? It sounds like a hardware problem with the drive, but if it works fine with another computer, there may be something else going on.

Herbaceous

• Calf

Thank you for the reply Colin,

I've tried the manual power setting yes. The problem also occurs on every PC I've connected it to (which is 6 including 2 laptops). When it happens it sounds like the drive is parking itself, followed by a click sound, then I get the Windows message as stated above.

Colin137

• Big Bull
Because the problem has worsened over time and it behaves similarly on other computers, it definitely seems like a problem with the USB controller or other part of the circuit board in the unit.

Herbaceous

• Calf

Ok. Is it possible that the USB cable could cause power problems for the unit?

I stopped using the stock cable some time back and replaced it with a much longer, higher quality cable (5M). I'm clutching at straws here, but I know that some cables can cause a fall-off of data and power etc when their length exceeds a certain amount.

nicbot

• Calf
   Try a shorter cable.

Herbaceous

• Calf

I am :) So far so good. I realize it probably sounded silly to ask about the cable, even though I am trying a shorter one. I guess I just wanted confirmation on a hunch. Thanks for all the help so far. I'll mark this thread as solved and get back to these forums if the problem starts up again...

Ciao!