Author Topic: Missing initrd.buffalo / hddrootfs.buffalo.updated during LSUpdate. LS in EM mode....  (Read 9094 times)

kulnor

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 5
   

Bought a new LS Pro Duo today and worked fine. The box came with firmware 3.08 and I noticed that 3.09 was available frm the web site. Downlaoded and extracted the ZIP file and ran the LSUpdater. During the process, received error messages that the initrd.buffalo and hddrootfs.buffalo.updated files were missing. After that, the LS only reboots on EM mode. I found an hddrootfs.img and initrd.img files in the unzipped folder. Waht can I do to resolve the issue?

thanks

*K 


Colin137

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 1125
Make sure you have the correct firmware. Force the firmware update with all four Debug Config options checked. "rebuild partition table" will delete the partitions and rebuilt/reformat them (Full deletion of all data), setting the device back to complete defaults. The force update procedure is here: http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=82509#M277

kulnor

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 5
   

Thanks for the feedback. The problem however seem to be that I have files with the ".img" extension instead of ".buffalo" or ".buffalo. updated". Not sure why the ZIP files containes the wrong version of the files. CAn I convert or rename them?

thanks

*K 


Colin137

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 1125
The updater should unpack them during the update. Did you extract the zip first?

bbothomley

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 7
   

Here is the fix, those files are bad somehow, I had the same problem.

Go to ftp://24.153.165.234 in your web browser and drill down to:

disk1/share/LS_Pro_Duo/2_usb_model

then download the file lswtgl-3.08.zip

Unzip and run and that will put your drive back at V3.08 and set the password back to password. All data is intact, well mine was.

The Web access window will be in Japanese so to change that log into the NAS and select the second option on the left side and in that page scroll down and in the last 2 fields change the upper one to English and the lower one to CP437.

This worked for me but you are right that there is something wrong with the V3.09 zip files.

Brian


bbothomley

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 7
   

Hi Colin,

What you suggested there is really drastic and could possibly scare someone who is having this problem. I was able to find a fix for this without deleting and data, which if I had only half filled the mirrored 1T drive would have been a night mare for me.

I suggest that people only offer advice and suggestions from personal experience.

Thanks

Brian

Message Edited by bbothomley on 01-31-2009 05:32 PM

DrummerMan

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 1
   I ran into the same issue as the original poster, renaming the the .img files and running the updater again seems to have worked for me.  (renamed   initrd.img to initrd.buffalo and hddrootfs.img to hddrootfs.buffalo.updated )

bbothomley

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 7
   

Hi DrummerMan,

Thanks for that one, of course that was too easy for me to think of. :)

I had to spend ages on the phone with tech support who were insisting I was doing something wrong when un-zipping the file.

Someone added the wrong files to that compressed file.

 

Thanks

Message Edited by bbothomley on 01-31-2009 05:33 PM

kulnor

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 5
   

Everyone:

many thanks for the feedback, renaming the .img files with the correct extensions as suggested worked for me. The only minor issue I found was that the box IP was changed to 169.254.44.129 instead of the 168.192.1.7 assigned by the DHCP server. Renewing the address reverted back to the correct IP. 

Very much appreciate getting this resolved within a few hours on a Saturday, great support :-)

best

*K 


drmemory

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 1152

Buffalo has replaced the incorrect names with the correct names in the firmware download.

Thanks to everyone for catching and helping with the issue.


developer

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 1
   

A suggestion to the tech who packages the firmware updates... rebuild the zip file with only the latest version of your update.  The archive has all the unused files in it.  Takes a seriously long time to download...

 

Also, FWIW, I recommend a reboot of the drive and halt all nasnavi's when updating it.  The firmware updater could not find my drive until I did that.


Colin137

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 1125
I noticed that a few hours ago, developer. I've notified our corporate office about it. Thanks.