Author Topic: Need help resolving error "Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver"  (Read 22814 times)

tracymanzo

• Calf

I am running Windows XP Pro and recently updated with Service Pack 3. After doing this, I lost my connection with my printer port on my Buffalo LinkStation HD-H250LAN. The printer was working with my LinkStation flawlessly prior to this.

The error message varies a little depending on which printer function I am attempting, but always includes "Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver."

So here is what I have done:

• I have checked the connections all the way through from the Linkstation back to the router and the router back to my computer...all the LAN connections are healthy.
  • I have rebooted the Linkstation, the router, and my computer several times.
  • I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the printer using Windows Add Printer wizard. It cannot find the printer on the network even though I can see it when I look at my network connections.
  • I tried going to the Buffalo online admin utility and disabling and re-enabling the USB Printer port from there, but no help.
  • I found an article in Microsoft's KB that had a workaround that said to go directly to the "server's" printer/fax folder (by clicking through the path on the Microsoft Windows Network to get to the LinkStation's Printers and Faxes folder), right click and select "Add Printer" and re-add the printer. However, I get a message saying that I am unauthorized to do this. I try using an alternate login, but it doesn't accept anything.

Bottom line, no matter what I do, I am still getting the same error. I hate to think I need to uninstall Windows SP3. Ugh. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can resolve this problem?

Colin137

• Big Bull
Find out the IP address of the linkstation, then go to Start->Run, type in \\IP_Address, hit OK, then right click on lp and click connect. This should give you the add printer wizard and allow you to choose the driver. If that doesn't work, make sure the printer works when directly attached to the computer, and that the printer driver is installed.

tracymanzo

• Calf

OK, so here's what I did to fix the problem:

First, I called and spoke with Buffalo's tech support. The tech said that this was a fairly common problem; there were many printer drivers that were not supported by Windows XP SP3, and that I would need to go to the printer manufacturer's website (in the case HP), and download and install the updated driver.  The printer in question was a little HP Laserjet 1012. So, I did this and then here's what I did on my computer:

• Delete any instance of "lp" on your local computer's Printers and faxes folder.
  • On your local computer's Printers and Faxes folder, right-click and select "Add Printer".  The Add Printer Wizard begins..when it asks, select "Local printer attached to this computer". (Even though the printer is not really connected to the computer.)
  • On "Select a Printer Port" click use the following port and select USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB). (The number after the USB... might be incremented, but it doesn't matter, just choose the one for a virtual printer port.)
  • On "Install Printer Software", select the Manufacturer and then click the "Have Disk..." button. Browse to the location where you downloaded the new driver software and select the new .inf file.
  • Follow through with the rest of the Wizard to install the new driver. If any HP Autorun programs pop-up at the end of the Wizard....quickly click "Cancel". For some reason, if the HP installation utility takes over, it undoes the Window's installation.
  • Now you should have a local copy of the printer set up in your computer's Printers and Faxes folder. (You may need to refresh the folder to see the icon.)
  • Now...Right-click in your computer's Printers and Faxes folder and select "Add Printer" again.
  • This time select "A Network printer, or printer attached to another computer."
  • Select Browse for a printer and click through to the printer attached to the Link Station.
  • This time, the drivers are already installed for the "local" copy of the printer, so select manufacturer (mine was HP) and printer model (mine was Laserjet 1010 series)
  • Follow through with the Wizard and the driver will now be installed again with the associated network printer on the Link Station.

Crazy, huh? But it worked for me.