Author Topic: Tera Live locked in Japanese!  (Read 8816 times)

jerm98

• Calf
Tera Live locked in Japanese!
« on: December 06, 2008, 02:03:31 PM »

After a proper setup a few weeks back, my TeraStation Live (HS-DHTGL/R5) now only outputs Japanese (Kanji) and appears to have switched to the Japan timezone.  I tried logging in and switching it to English, it appears to Apply, but when I log back in, it still shows Japanese and the setting is back to what is was.  For that matter, anything else I change on that page switches back to what it was, so it appears no setting changes are taking.

To test, I switched off DHCP, and the setting was remembered.  Also, the admin password change and the RAID-5 config are still okay.

Both the browser and PCast both show Japanese. 

Firmware is 2.14, which appears to be the latest.

I'm using Vista Ultimate (64-bit) and IE8 beta 2 (with and without compatibility mode).

I also tried on a different PC with different OS and browsers--same results.

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Tera Live locked in Japanese!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »

jerm98

• Calf
Does resetting to factory defaults affect RAID config?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »

Thanks for the message.  I've tried various versions of the KB solution to no avail.  The only other option is the one I don't want to try, because it requires resetting to factory defaults.

My question now is:  if I reset to factory defaults when I'm using RAID-5, what will that do to my files and the RAID config?  I assume it will go back to whatever the default is, which is definitely not RAID-5.

Thanks.

Jerry

DeanRobinson

• Calf
Re: Tera Live locked in Japanese!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 07:22:22 PM »

I had the exact same problem, when  I forced the firmware to to update "even though I had the latest version" then set it back to english everthing went back to normal.

Thanks!

Dean

Matt_M

• Buffalo
Re: Does resetting to factory defaults affect RAID config?
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 04:23:13 PM »
Default for these units is actually RAID 5, but that does not come into play with a factory reset. Nothing in the data sector is touched, this only defaults user-created configs, things like network settings and users and groups. The other thing this does is force the unit to flush any cache files that aren't clearing properly which may clear up your issue.

jerm98

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 05:26:33 PM »

Thanks!  This helped a great deal, but oddly after trying many different things, it now works.  Odd in that I'd already rebooted everything multiple times, cleared caches, tried different browsers/PCs/OS'es, etc., etc.  The only thing I did differently was to set the radio button for NTP when I did everything else, which I didn't think was necessary given I wasn't changing it.  Go figure.

Apparently there's some corner case where if you don't set the NTP server setting, it doesn't really accept the other changes (even though it appears to accept the time and time zone changes, but it just changes them back when you check again).  That's all I can figure.  All the other pages appeared to behave normally, so it was just this page.

Thanks again.

Jerry

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 05:50:47 PM »
Glad to hear everything worked out, if you need anything in the future feel free to come back to the forums.

msandig

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:42:56 PM »
   I have followed the instructions, clicked the radio button selected English,etc. Now I get the first page in English, but no menu on the right. Hence cannot get to next few pages. I have updated firmware 1.05 - no change. Is this again Vista specific issue?

msandig

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 07:52:41 PM »
   Tried to re-install from WIn2K machine and firefox. Same problem.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 08:12:17 PM »
Since you have updated FW, have you tried holding the reset button?

msandig

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 02:40:09 AM »
   Actually, no. The linkstation has been rebooted as part of the update. How do I do "reset"? Is this a function button at the top?

msandig

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »
   Re-flashed again with 1.05v-00, re-booted, reset pushing function button for 30 secs. No difference, the menu on the left does not come up. Again it was perfectly ok after initial setup, but in Japanese. I have clicked the radio button as advised and selected English. Now the first page comes in English, but no menu, just the grey background box. Any solutions?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 01:08:18 PM »

Try the firmware force procedure linked on page one, and select the following Config options through the Debug section: Do not check version, Force update, and Delete user config.

msandig

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »
   Many thanks. It has now worked.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
Glad to hear it. :)