Author Topic: Half dead LinkStation  (Read 4854 times)

pepin

• Calf
Half dead LinkStation
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:21:35 PM »

My linkStation is in a weird state. It starts fine, requests its IP address from my router (I see it does as the IP pops up in the router list when it starts). The power and network leds blink as their should when booting and are steady once up, the network one blinking when there is traffic, it is shutting down when the button is pressed for a couple of seconds and I can hear the hard drive powering up and down.

However I can't connect to it in any shape or form. The web UI doesn't respond. The Mac Buffalo NAS navigator sometimes (not always) finds it, displays a weird hostname (LS-GL-EMA49) and its IP, subnet and mac address. But that's it: it can't get the firmware version nor do anything from there. The Windows NAS utility is even more useless: it can never find it.

I've gone in there with nmap, scanning the IP address and it is telling me that the LinkStation is up and running, on the network, but that all the ports are closed. With no port open whatsoever I'm not surprised the utilities can't get to it.

So far I've tried:

- putting it on a different network, also DHCP. Nada.

- Connecting it directly to my Mac, using the 192.168.11.150. It's there, but all ports are closed. 

- Pressing the button in the back for 10 seconds, until the linkstation chimes a little music.

- try the three previous network again

- restarting it a number of times

At this point I'm running out of ideas. This linkstation worked fine, I used it to make a backup of some data and then stored it for 3 months. I would like to get that data back now, pretty please, preferably without opening the case!

Any hope of getting this thing to start up again?

It is a Buffalo LinkStation LS-500GL, bought in the UK (if it makes a difference). I don't know what firmware it is running as I can't look, but it is the original one as I never upgraded it for sure. 

Thanks for your help. 

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Half dead LinkStation
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:25:12 PM »
Update the firmware to the latest version.

renee

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:24:56 AM »

I'm having a very similar problem with my Linkstation LG-L320GL. It's running the latest firmware version (2.01).

It used to work fine on my network then all of a sudden with no change to the configuration of the network it doesn't work. From the PCs (1 x Vista & 1 times XP) it can view the linkstation (see image below) find the IP address, locate data, etc. but clicking on View shares tells me it's not there. But the Mac can still find it.

Buffalo - this problem started to occur only after the Mac started writing files to it. Could this be the cause of the problem???

Any ideas will be warmly welcomed as I need to access this data urgently.

Renee

pepin

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »

Apparently my linkstation went into some kind of emergency mode. I've updating the firmware fixed it.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »

I can't see the ip address completely, but it looks like it's 192.168.1.3, which seems like it's a valid address, though I don't know your network. What's the output of Start->Run, "cmd /k ipconfig"?

Try accessing it by Start->Run, \\ip_address_of_linkstation

Message Edited by Colin137 on 01-24-2009 10:21 AM

renee

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting back to me - I have the start/run \\ip_of_linkstation with the response: "Windows cannot access 192.168.1.3"

This is the output of "cmd /k ipconfig"

Any more ideas?

Renee