Author Topic: Issues connecting LS-L500GL - re: IP settings  (Read 4331 times)

MacS

• Calf
Issues connecting LS-L500GL - re: IP settings
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:18:12 PM »
   Hi,

Im attempting to connect a Linkstation LS-L500GL to 4 PCs via T10/100 switch for my boss. My networking skills arnt that great, so would anyone be kind enough to offer some information regarding the best way to do this? Things im particularly interested in are IP settings for the PCs and wether the LS should have the DHCP on/off and if not which IP range it should be set to. Each PC is running WinXP, has 2 network cards (1 for internet to a routerPort config and 1 to the switch) and im connecting them with wire.

On my previous attempts ive been able to connect with the LS but lost internet and vice versa. Im sure ive screwed the IP addresses around as ive attempted to work out the problem, but i know the hardware and wires are ok because they were used previously with an Linkstation which died. 
Port config
Current config: The 1st (internal) network card is connecting to the net via DHCP, the 2nd network card is connected to the switch. Switch is also connected to LS.

The PCs and Linkstation are in the same workgroup.Hopefully the diagram makes sense!

Thanks for reading, id be grateful for any advice.
Kind Regards, Mac

tanjl

• El Toro
Re: Issues connecting LS-L500GL - re: IP settings
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 11:31:51 PM »

Hi Mac,

Maybe you can try this.

I've almost the same configuration previously at home.

Connect the Linksys 8-ports switch to the 2wire Gateway ADSL set and then all the computers and the Linkstation EZ connect to the Linksys switch?  

The Linkstation EZ should be DHCP and set all compuetrs to detect IP automatically as well.

Regards 

MacS

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 06:30:42 AM »
   Thanks Tanjl, ill try that in an hour or 2 and report back, i currently have the LS connected directly to one of the machines to pull 170gb of data off it. Ideally i'd like to keep the same configuration (as it has worked previously) but if thats a working soloution im more than happy to try it because im pulling my hair out and the office has a stressful vibe today!! :)
Message Edited by MacS on 01-19-2009 06:31 AM

MacS

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »
   Im happy to report that after flashing the firmware from 1.04 to 2.01 (the LS was acting wierd when accessed via Navigator, asking to reset time, telling me the 'incorrect password' was used when it wasnt etc so i suspected a buggy fw to start) and a little rewiring to your suggestion it worked first time so many thanks tanjl. Boss is happy, im happy - for the overtime :smileywink:- and the missions completed! Thanks again, mac.
Message Edited by MacS on 01-19-2009 02:25 PM