Author Topic: Problem getting Vista 64-bit to map to Linkstation HS-DH500GL  (Read 3425 times)

tombarnwell

• Calf

I can't get my new Dell 64-bit Vista laptop to map the Linkstation.  I can see it on the Network and access the setup page, but can't map the share folder.  I found two KB articles, one involving a registry patch that I did but didn't solve the problem.  The other one says "Windows Vista 64-bit does not always have usbstor.inf in c:windowsinf."  In can find usbstor.inf in a folder on the D: drive, but am not sure where to put it.  There's no folder c:\windowsinf" but I do see "c:windows\inf" which has multiple subfolders.  Does the INF file go there or in a subfolder?

I've been waiting on the phone for Tech support for probably 20 minutes and am not getting through.

Tom

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Problem getting Vista 64-bit to map to Linkstation HS-DH500GL
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »

Well this device does not use usbstor drivers (those are for USB devices), you do have this connected through ethernet, correct?

tombarnwell

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »

Yes, connected via a linksys wireless router.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 05:10:34 PM »

Does the Nas Navigator find the unit? (You can d/l that from this site if you do not have it already).

If so what Firmware version does it give you?

tombarnwell

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 05:40:32 PM »

That's another problem -- when I tried to install NAS Navigator, it said I needed to run it from an administrator account even though I was in an administrator account (the only user account on the computer).  THe firmware is 2.10. I just spent an hour on the phone with your Tech Suppport and we tried to update the firmware from 2 different machines, one that can see the share (32-bit Vista laptop) and the one that can't (64-bit VIsta laptop).  I can log onto the Linkstation going thru the browser for either computer -- that's how I got the firmware version.  So the computer clearly sees the Linkstation and can access it -- I just can't get to the share.

I have to go now so had to get off the phone with Tech Support -- any other ideas on what to try???

Tom

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:08:40 PM »

Just to make sure, you go to Start> Run (or Windows Key + R)> \\(IP address of LS) ... this should bring you to the shares, what do you see there (if it even gets that far)?

Also, go to the properties of your local area connection, and make sure that you have "Client for MS  Networks" and "File and printer Sharing" both enabled.

Turn off Windows Firewall as well any other software firewall (most anti-virus software has one).

tombarnwell

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:54:10 PM »

Check, check, check...

I can see the Linkstation from the older 32-bit laptop that way but not from the new one. 

The new laptop has Trend Micro virus protection and I turned off the firewall ther to no avail.  I think I'll see if Dell customer support is any help next.

Tom

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 08:59:48 PM »
Make sure that you have SP1 for Vista, I know that there were issues without it.