Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo Media Server  (Read 7756 times)

gmcmann

• Calf
LinkStation Pro Duo Media Server
« on: October 11, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »

I am trying to setup my LinkStation Pro Duo 2TB NAS as a Media Server.    I have enabled the Media Server in the Pro Duo setup screen but the Pro Duo does not appear on the Login screen on my Buffalo LinkTheater.  My Windows PC's appear on the list on my Buffalo LinkTheater.

Please advise.

Thanks,

George

gmcmann

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo Media Server
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 12:09:58 AM »
   Fixed it. I re-entered my wireless network settings and the Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo appears on the main login screen. Now I can go figure out the best video file formats to use. George

mgscuba

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 01:24:02 PM »

Hi George.  I have the same make/model Linkstation as you and am trying to set up the media server.  Where do you find the "Buffalo LinkTheater" interface.  I do not see that on my web administration page and I'm wondering if that is my problem.  

Thanks.  Mike 

SimoPP

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 06:08:04 AM »
   I don´t think there is a Linktheater interface anywhere in the LS menus, you should just enable the Media Server at the LS Pro Duo´s web admin pages and that´s it. If you are lucky, your player(s) should then find your Linkstation. If not, refreshing and even waiting for an hour should help, as LS should have some automatic refreshing set at 60 mins if I remember correctly... 

mgscuba

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 06:12:22 AM »
   Thanks for the tip.  I've been trying the restart/wait cycle for a few days with no luck.  Perhaps I'm too much of a newbie at this, but all I'm trying to do is get iTunes on my networked PCs to "see" the media server.  Do I need to change something on the client PCs running iTunes?

SimoPP

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 06:20:59 AM »
   I haven´t done anything at iTunes, and any of the computers in the network (both PC´s and Macs) with iTunes sees and shows all three Linkstations though only one contains music. Now that I am trying to remember, could there be some selection somewhere at iTunes to look for shared items, I have to check later today...?!

mgscuba

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 06:24:33 AM »
   I vaguely remember seeing a "Shared" location in iTunes when I had my old Lacie drive (which was replaced by the linkstation).  I don't see that now that I'm using the linkstation.

SimoPP

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 10:27:26 AM »
   Try this: Edit - Settings - Sharing: tick the "look for shared libraries" (my iTunes is in Finnish so these may not be exact translations).

mgscuba

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:39:16 AM »

I have already checked that box.  I even mapped the drive on the laptop and it still doesn't see a shared library.  I must have set up the linkstation incorrectly.

Thanks for your helpl 

SimoPP

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 03:22:04 PM »
   It should really be pretty straightforward, but I have noticed that especially with these LS´s several trials, restarts, resets just make things work. The official advice always seems to be "update the latest FW and initialize" and though it may sound stupid, in most cases it helps.

mgscuba

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 03:23:45 PM »
   Thanks Simo - I'll give it a whirl.  Wish me luck.