Author Topic: Hard drive always searching..constant noise.  (Read 4157 times)

HJSauerIII

• Calf
Hard drive always searching..constant noise.
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:39:11 AM »
   I have a Link Station Live HS-DH500GL and the hard drive just continues to run as if it was searching or defragging. I have restarted the network drive, let it run and still when its not being accessed it sounds as if it is. It is just a constant noise. Is there anyway to fix this? Is this normal? Please help. I've had the drive for about a year and a half. It has always made the nosie however I just recently moved it out of a small room and the constant harddrive noise has become rather distracting. It is connected to a Dlink wireless router. Also the Link/Act light flashes and blinks like it is being accessed. Thanks in advance for any help with correcting this.

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Hard drive always searching..constant noise.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:02:07 PM »

Because of the XFS file system the drive is not defragging but it could be being accessed.

Are you using PCast? Make sure that is disabled!

Also do you have backups that are running to the LS?

martyn69

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:20:58 AM »
   I have had the same problem with the hard disk constantly active. I thought initially that is was caused by my back-up programme (Memeo). However, I can confirm that disabling PCast has cured the issue. Thank you for the tip.

HJSauerIII

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:37:42 PM »
   Thank you for the tip. You have solved a problem that I have been dealing with for the last year. Have a great day.