Author Topic: Linkstation disappeared???  (Read 5243 times)

lynds123uk

• Calf
Linkstation disappeared???
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »

Hi, 

I am hoping you can help, I have tried searching for this problem, but am a little confused by some of the technical language being used in some of the posts!

We bought a linkstation live network attached server 9 days ago. It is plugged into our Belkin router, was initally set up via a laptop running vista, and also accessed from a mac. All was working well until yesterday.

I was updating Itunes with some of our music I had put onto the linkstation when the linkstation suddenly dissappeared from the network on my laptop. It can now not be found by the laptop or map, whether wirelessly or plugged in. The top 2 lights on the server are on constantly (I think this is how they have always been), and there is n beeping or flashing. I have checked all of the wires are in securely, and tried turning the linkstation on and off several times. One time when I turned the linkstation on it beeped at one tone for about 30 seconds, but this stopped by itself and has not happened since. 

I have not installed any of the extra firmware I have been reading about, is this recommended and is it too late to help if I download it now? 

Any suggestions on how to resolve our problem / and or recover the data on the linkstation if I need to take it back for a replacement would be gratefully received. 

Thanks, Lyndsey 

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Linkstation disappeared???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:50:02 PM »
   I would recommend going to the downloads page on this site and download the latest Firmware for your LinkStation. Also download the Nas Navigator if you don't already have it, then open that and see if it can find the unit. If it can does it give you a Firmware version?

lynds123uk

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »

Hi, thanks for your help. 

I have NAS navigator, however that can no longer find my linkstation either?

There are two firmware items to download, what do I do with them after I have downloaded them - do I need to make them run some how? 

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:39:24 PM »

You only need one Firmware version ( I would recommend the one for Windows if you have Win computer.)

Then you will need to unzip (or extract) all the files in that folder, then you will, I think 7, file and one is going to be an application (LSUpdater). Open that and see if that can find the LS, if it does then press the "update" button to update FW. 

If it doesn't find it boot the unit into EM mode (by press the reset button as you turn the unit on) and plug the unit directly into your comp and see if either the Navigator or Updater will find it.

Kameran

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »
   D/l and unzip firmware.  run the ls updater file.  and see if that works.  If you aren't able to see the unit in the nas navi, try a direct connect to a desktop and see if the nas navi sees it.

lynds123uk

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:20:44 PM »

Okay got my answers but not in a good way :(

After a few calls to the helpdesk (who were very helpful and I didn't wait particularly long to speak to someone, and there are numbers that are 01... for them), I think the linkstation has now died. 

Initially the guy didn't think so but installing the firmware (either normally or the debug mode) brings up and error and it won't install, and now when you turn it on there is a two tone beep and the error light flases red.

Helpdesk guy reckons it needs replacing, all i need to do now is find out whether I can get my files off it first ... and whether i replace it like for like or try and find something more reliable.

Thanks for your help.