Author Topic: Link Station Mini: Web Interface broken  (Read 6275 times)

carouso

• Calf
Link Station Mini: Web Interface broken
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:10:26 PM »

I integrated a brand new Link Station Mini (LS-WS1.0TGL/R1, Firmware 1.04) into my small home network (Router with DSL modem). DHCP works fine, and I can see and store to the (unconfigured) drive as expected.

However I'm unable to run the web interface. I get the login screen, but after logging in with admin/password I get only the right side of the screen (showing Link Station Name, Model Name and three more infos). I cannot see (let alone click) the menu buttons on the left, and consequently can't configure anything.

I tried re-initializing several times, used various different browers running on XP and Vista, tried a direct IP connection between the LS and one PC, switched of firewalls and antivirus software just to be sure. Nothing helped.

Any idea how this could be fixed would be appreciated...

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Link Station Mini: Web Interface broken
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »

My recommendation would be to perform a firmware update.  Within the firmware update archive for this model which can be acquired here, run the lsupdater.exe file and after the firmware update is complete re-initialize the unit to clear out any footprints of the old firmware that might be left behind.  Let us know if that fixes the issue.

Regards,

Dustin

Buffalo Tech-Support

carouso

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 04:42:56 PM »

Upgrading to firmware v1.05, which I found on your website when browsing for updates but didn't want to try before I got a reply, solved the problem. I now found out what's behind your link is v1.08, which I don't think comes up when browsing the official support website. I assume you recommend upgrading to this version? btw, I'm in Europe (not sure this makes a difference. It seems there where slightly different versions for v1.05 depending on how I got to the support website - through the European pages or directly through your homepage).

In any case: thank you very much. Nice and quick support!

node

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »
   I have this same problem - no menu, so cannot configure anything. I have v1.05. Downloaded v1.08 but update program can't find linkstation mini. Is that menu problem related to java somehow?

OHO

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »

Hi

I got my Linkstation mini (LS-WSGL/R I) today and it seams that I have the same problems (Javascript errors on loading the menu.)

My firmeware version is 1.05 but I tried the LS-WSGL105 firmeware update from the download page, but the uptater tells that there is nothing to update. (Did not realy expect that this would help ;-)). Then I tried to take the firmware (lswtgl-108) above, but it does not match. 

Is there a firmeware update that fixes this issue?

greetings 

OHO

node

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »

Hi

Yesterday I got mine working. I have EU version. I downloaded firmware v1.05 from

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/

Because I already had v1.05,

I enabled debug mode and changed VersionCheck to 0 from *.ini file:

[Flags]
VersionCheck = 0

[SpecialFlags]
Debug = 1

And then program's menu->debug. From debug mode I enabled force update.

After 5-10 minutes Mini was working.

I'm just quessing: It seem that Mini was originally firmwared with wrong version, because when I downloaded v1.05 from North America site and upgraded, menu was still broken.

OHO

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 06:18:47 AM »

Hi

I tried  both the 1.05 version from www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/ and the

1.05 from www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads.

I set

[Flags]
VersionCheck = 0

to install the firmeware. No change. The menu is still not visible because of the javascript errors.

I tried MS IE 6, Firefox 3.0.5 and Chrome. So this is not a specific browser engine bug, it is definitly a bug in the firmeware. 

Any Ideas?  Or does someone know how to patch the firmeware? If I know how to change the html/js files

I'm able to workaround the problem.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:30:30 PM »
OHO, you may have voided your warranty by flashing with a US firmware. Flash it back to the one from the european site to avoid potential issues. Make sure you put the SpecialFlags and Debug lines in the LSUpdater.ini file, save it, then launch the updater and access the Debug menu as "node" explains. Check all the options in the Config section EXCEPT "Rebuild Partition Table", as that option will format the drive and you will lose the data on it.