Author Topic: LinkStation Live LS-CHL software installation "password authentication failed"  (Read 6187 times)

Ensoll

• Calf

Trying to set up my new NAS.  My setup consists of a broadband internet connection going into a Linksys wireless router which has one Windows XP desktop cabled into it and two Windows XP laptops on wireless connections.  DHCP is enabled and all machine network settings are auto configured. There is also another Linksys wireless router at the other end of the house which has been turned into a wireless repeater.  It has a network printer wired into it.  The Buffalo NAS is wired into the primary Linksys router, not the repeater.

I followed the instructions by the software, including disabling my software firewall.  I even disabled the hardware firewall in my router.  As the installation progressed, I followed it to the letter but it eventually ended with "Password authentication failed" and offered to start over/ try again.

Any advice?

Colin137

• Big Bull
Try using the NASNavigator software to find out the Linkstation's IP address, then launch a browser and try accessing that address. The default username/password is admin/password. If that works, than everything should be OK. To map the drive to a letter, Start->Run (or on Vista, Windows Key+R), then type in "\\ip_address" without quotes, where "ip_address" is the address of the Linkstation, and hit OK. Right click on share, click map network drive.

Ensoll

• Calf

Thanks.  I was trying to keep my question succinct for others who have A.D.D. like I do...so I didn't mention this, but I did all of those things already. 

I logged into my router and saw the NAS had gotten a DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.104.  Then I just looked in Windows Explorer and there it was on the network.  I have already moved 11 GB of data onto the drive in various new folders. 

I also logged into the NAS user interface via the IP address and the default username/password.  I just looked around for the time being until I get all the ducks in a row.

I still want to get the software installation complete because so I can use some of the other features, such as remote access as well as the BitTorrent feature.  If these things can be done without the software, well I'd have to wonder what good the software is at all.

Colin137

• Big Bull
The point of the software is to make the installation easier for less experienced users, but as you can see, in the rare situations where it doesn't work, it can be quite frustrating. All of the device's functions are configurable from the web admin interface.
Message Edited by Colin137 on 01-08-2009 01:37 PM

Ensoll

• Calf

Well I guess that's something.  I would like to understand why this happened for future education (that's mainly how I've learned what I know about computers).  I am hoping to find out what would cause this and how to correct/avoid it.  Maybe it's revealing a problem with my computer, for example.

It is good to hear, though, that I made the right moves as a Plan B.

Thanks for your responses.

Colin137

• Big Bull
I don't really have an explaination for you, as I haven't seen that message before. If you post or PM me a screenshot, I may be able to come up with something.

Ensoll

• Calf

Hey there Mr. Colin,

On your remarks , I decided to play around with the NAS configuration settings to see if I could set up the remote access without the software.  After a few twists and turns, playing around with IP address settings, this's and that's, the dang thing works!  Suddenly, I don't really care why I got the 'password authentication failed' error message and now see your point of view.

Next I'll tackle the BitTorrent feature but the Little 'Think I Can' Engine That Could is starting to get up the mountain.

Thanks much!

Colin137

• Big Bull

I thought you might see it my way :)

The software is useful for help with initial setup, like I said, but since the NAS boxes aren't peripherals, and indeed are lower-powered computers, there's no actual NEED for any software, usage is all handled by the client operating system and the web interface.

Let us know if you have any more questions.