Author Topic: Firmware update kills access (mostly)  (Read 3435 times)

goodsystms

• Calf
Firmware update kills access (mostly)
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »

I have a Terastation HD-H1.0GL/R5. When installed, it worked, as a member of a workgroup under both Windows Vista Business and Windows XP Pro. Both OS's are fully current.

Recently I installed firmware v2.16, and now the device does not appear on the network, under either Windows version. I have installed the Vista registry trick to reduce the matching level for verifications.

I can access the device using my browser, and make adjustments to it. Everything appears proper (host name, workgroup, IP, subnet mask, etc.). When I run the Client Utility, the device shows up immediately, and the 'View Shares' option connects and I can access all data. However, running the CU just to get to data seems a bit strange.

My router is an older Linksys 54G, running Tomato software. It now behaves strangely with regard to the Terastation: when I first access the router management pages, the Terastation shows up correctly on the device list (as an IP entity), although without a proper (host) name. However, when the router updates it's device list (an automatic event) the Terastation disappears from the list altogether.

I've done all the newbie stuff... reboot everything, etc etc etc.

It seems clear that the firmware upgrade sucks.

How can I get a copy of the old (original) firmware and restore it?

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Firmware update kills access (mostly)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 01:10:07 PM »

Try resetting the TS to defaults from Maintenance->Initialization, Restore. This will set the device back to defaults, and is sometimes necessary after a firmware update if you see strange issues like this. You can load an older firmware by creating a shortcut to the updater, open the properties for the shortcut, add "/force" without quotes to the end of the Target field.

example: "path_to_updater.exe" /force

You can get the 1.12 firmware here: ftp://24.153.165.234/disk1/share/TeraStation_HD-Hx.xTGL_R5/TeraStation_112-104.zip

Message Edited by Colin137 on 01-10-2009 01:11 PM

goodsystms

• Calf
Re: Firmware update kills access (mostly)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »

Works. Thanks.