Author Topic: Linkstation LS-GL500 login failure  (Read 8566 times)

daveyj66

• Calf
Linkstation LS-GL500 login failure
« on: January 07, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »

I originally installed my Linkstation NAS LS-GL500 all OK. It connects to a Netgear Gb switch and worked fine and I was able to set up users, use the web interface and set up mapped network drives within Windows Vista Home Premium.....I then had a power cut!

From that point the mapped drives did not work and I could not reconnect, I tried to access the NAS via the IP address and Internet Explorer to see what was going on and get to the logon page OK but it does not recognise my password/user name efforts even though I do not believe I have got them wrong. I have tried all the usual CAPS LOCK stuff etc but I can't log in. I've tried the same IP add from a Windows XP laptop that had never previously connected to the NAS and I get to the same logon screen OK but same result with password/user attempts. It is as if the password and user names (2 of them) have been changed or destroyed by the powercut. 

It is possible that rather than the failure be linked to the powercut that it is linked to a normal Windows Update that happened around the same time but I can't prove that and it doesn't explain why the XP Laptop has the same issue, either way I'm stuck with a NAS that has data on it but I can't log in!

1) is there anything else that I can try that could solve the problem? it worked fine for a year and a bit and only recently stopped, there must be some cause of the problem!

2) Can I reset without destroying access to the data?

3) if I have to reset, is there any way I can recover the data from the drive using traditional undelete or more sophisticated data recovery tools or is this unlikely?

Help or advice PLEASE!

Thanks

Jonathan

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Linkstation LS-GL500 login failure
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:45:28 AM »

bring to the EM mode :

- Power the unit down (disconnect the power)
- Reboot it, if the power led is still flashing more than 60 second's from the first beep on, disconnet the power and retry.
- do this until the unit's power led is constant 50 second's after the beep and the unit is on EM.

- Please bare in mind that it might take several attempts to get the unit into EM mode.
- To confirm the unit is in EM mode the letters "EM" will be displayed in the hostname of the Linkstation in the Nas Navigator and the firmware will be displayed as "---" or no firmware at all.

Once done please try to reinstall the firmware.
Go to www.buffalotech.com and select support and downloads.
Choose your model from the model list and download the latest firmware
Unzip the file and extract to a location on your PC (XP Preferrably)

Make a direct connection from your PC to the unit with a network cable.
Also set a static IP address that is within range of the Linkstation, Disable all firewall and anti-virus software on the PC and run the .exe file that was contained within the zip

Overwrite the firmware with the latest European version, as written below.
Perform a forced update if needed. To do this:

a.. To force the firmware update to the unit, you will need to enable Debug support on the Updater.exe.
b.. To do this open the lsupdater.ini or nasupdater.ini file from the firmware. Whether you have nasupdater.ini or tsupdater.ini will depend on the firmware version.
c.. Open the .ini file and add the following two lines to the end of the text file:
[SpecialFlags]
Debug=1

a.. Save the .ini file and run the Updater.exe.
b.. Click on the top left corner of the Updater window (on the small picture) and select "Debug (D)". This will bring up the Debug options.
c.. Select either "Ignore Current Version", or "Force Update", “Delete User Config” and click OK. This will have the program force the update even if it detects the same version was already installed.

It will restore the default settings.

In the downloaded file there is a file called LSUpdater.exe, click on this and it will find the Linkstation and preform the update for you.

If this installs correctly it should allow access to the unit again
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

daveyj66

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »

Thanks for that, will I have lost any of the data?

J

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »

No, bring into EM mode and flashing the FW does not result in data loss.

One things, in the debug options, DO NOT select rebluid partition table as this WILL result in data loss.

Message Edited by davo on 01-07-2009 06:05 PM
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

daveyj66

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »

Davo

Firmware updated successfully to 1.15 and now windows recognises that the NAS exists and one of the two mapped drives works. I can access some data, thank you very much!

However....I've tried to access the NAS using Internet explorer by entering the IP address and now all I get is the same screen but in Chinese characters. I've tried to enter the passwords anyway but they still dont seem to work.  Any more ideas?

Thanks

J

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »

Look at this thread im just after writing on to change the lanuage.

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=3701

Regarding accessing the one shared folder, once the language is changed back go into the web gui of the linkstation and recreate the shared folder (it proabably shows up as not being created) with the exact same name , attributes etc, once this is done correctly it should give you access to all the data again.

daveyj66

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 02:30:22 PM »

Davo

My problem is that my login password/username still does not work even though I put them in the right boxes on the Japanese script page, so I can't get far enough to change the language.

The mapped drive from windows works and presumably this has the username and password embedded somewhere within it to gain access, is there a way of establishing what these are to ensure that I am entering the right username and password and not just making a mistake?

Thanks again, you have already helped me locate 158Mb of data (on this mapped drive) that i am now backing up elsewhere!

J

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 02:52:02 PM »

Reset the unit with the reset button at the back and you should be able to logon with "admin" and "password"

If you definately selected "Delete userconfig" in the debug options then im afraid there is nothing more i can do :(

daveyj66

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »

Just before the reset I tried 'admin' and 'password' as opposed to the original combination and bizarrly it worked. Thanks for your help, all data back and a NAS box that works!

Well done

Regards

J

daveyj66

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »

PS....In English now too!