Author Topic: Slow backup speed... Is this normal  (Read 11856 times)

lucastrsk

• Calf
Slow backup speed... Is this normal
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:01:04 PM »
   Hi, I just purchased a Linkstation Live 1TB to back up my existing Dlink DNS-323 NAS storage system.  I am running a backup program on my mini server from the Dlink to the Linkstation.  It was backing up about 380GB of data and it was at 85% this morning at 6:30 am when it was started yesterday at noon.  My network is 1GB capable and i have jumbo frames turned off.   Does this seem normal transfer rate?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Slow backup speed... Is this normal
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »

You should get about 1 gig for every 5-7 min.

Make sure the firmware is up to date and try testing it with the jumbo packets.  Run a 1 gig in each of the modes see what works the fastest. 

mrlee1999

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:04:28 AM »

I'm getting very slow backup speed as well, avg is about 480KB/sec, very slow for a gigbit network.  I've messed around with the Jumbo Packet sizing on both my wkstn Vista32, Prem and the Linkstation. Firmware version is 1.02.  LinkStation LS-CL 500gb.

Have any ideas for me?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:46:59 AM »
You can try to force the firmware update, and set the unit back to factory defaults with in the web interface.  This will not cause any data loss, however you will have to reset the user config files.

mrlee1999

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »

I set the unit back to the factory defaults.  Using the defaults, I was getting even a slower speed so I uped the Frame size to 9694 and now getting around 580KB /Sec, better but still not near 1gb speed.

Is there a Windows download to reload the firmware?  Current downloadable for win is 1.00.  There's a 1.02 for Mac, but that won't do me any good.

Help

zeecue

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:19:01 AM »

I am also having this error, with about 500kbps.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and on a 1000mbps network with jumboframe support.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 12:56:25 PM »
all firmwares can be downloaded from buffalotech.com/support/downloads

mrlee1999

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »

So since the only version of firmware for Windows is 1.00.26 on the web page and my device has 1.2, I'm to revert to the earlier version?

When I attempted to run the Win Version, it asked me as well if I wanted to go back to the earlier version.

Should I do this?  Will it cause issues that could render it useless?  Is there a way to back up the firmware prior to reverting?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »
The unit was designed to take updates as well as downgrades with out data loss.  I am not sure how or for what region your current firmware is written for, however It is not supported for your region.  I would recommend the flash.

mrlee1999

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 11:39:06 PM »

Paul, you're a genius.  Everyone, listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.:smileyvery-happy:

Updating, or in my case backdating the Firmware from 1.02-0.46 to 1.00-0.26 improved performance greatly.

I'm now getting 15-16mb/sec file copies versus the 580 kb/sec I was getting prior to flashing. My network utilization jumped up to around 12.5%.  I couldn't even get 1% out of it before.  If you can think of any other tweaks other than increasing the frame size, feel free to share.  The switch I'm using has the capability of matching the max frame size of the linkstation as well as my Nic.

I'm definitely more statisfied with the performance though.

Not sure how it came with firmware v1.02.  I did purchase it through a US company.

Thanks Again