Author Topic: PLEASE HELP Link Station Pro Dou will not access from internet.  (Read 6760 times)

gamidnightrider

• Calf
PLEASE HELP Link Station Pro Dou will not access from internet.
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
   I am getting upset with Buffalo. I have spent 2 days on the phone trying to find out why i am unable to access the Link station from the internet and i have been hung up on, told it was an issue for the router people, to update firmware ( which it fails to do), and given the run around. I am able to access the Link Station from home on the network but i am unable to access it from outside the network like at the office or a coffee shop. Can someone please help me. I bought this thing to be able to access it from the road as i work alot out of office and need access to my files while on the road. PLEASE HELP.

BuffaloBrian

• BLBeta
  • <Insert car metaphor here>
Re: PLEASE HELP Link Station Pro Dou will not access from internet.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:53:09 PM »
   Can you verify that the gateway and DNS settings are properly setup (especially if using a static IP address)?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:08:28 AM »
   Its nothing to do with gateway and DNS, if it is working from home then the setup on the linkstation is correct, it is the router that is not forwarding the ports correctly! Make sure you disable UPnP in the web access setup and use external port 9000, then forward the port for TCP to the IP address of the linkstation in your router, if it still does not work then get in contact with the router manufacturer.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

gamidnightrider

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 06:56:14 AM »
   I have been in touch with Lynksys. They tell me it is in the storage device. I have been through the settings over and over with them and they find nothing wrong. I am at my wits end.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 07:06:29 AM »

It is not the linkstation, the unit does not know if you are connecting from outside your LAN or not. The fact that you are able to access it from your LAN indicates that the linkstation is working fine and it is indeed an issue with your router. Follow these steps and let me know how you get on:

We will start from the beginning. Firstly log onto the web interface page of the linkstation. Click User management and create a new user called "test" (no quotes) and give it a password "test" and whatever description you want and apply these settings. Then click on shared folders => Add and enter the following details:
Shared folder name: test
Description: test
Shared folder Support: Tick all four options
Attributes: Read/Write
Remote Backup Password: Leave blank
Access Restrictions: Enabled (And move the test user ONLY to read/write access) and click apply
Now click on Web Access along the left hand side and click Service Setup
Enter the following details:
Web Access Service: Enabled
HTTPS/SSL Encryption: Disabled
Use Buffalonas.com: Enabled
Buffalonas.com name: Specify a unique name here
Buffalonas.com key: Specify a unique key here
Auto Configure Firewall (UPnP): Disabled
External Port: 9000
Click Apply
Go to your routers configuration page and manually forward port 9000 for TCP to the IP address of the linkstation (You may need to contact your router manufacturer to do this correctly)

Now under the web access heading click Folder setup and select the test folder
Web access Settings: Use inherited Folder Permissions
Click Apply

Now go to www.buffalonas.com and enter the buffalonas.com username you specified. If this works correctly you will be asked for a username and password, enter the username "test" and the password "test" (no quotes)
This should then log you onto the test folder and if you have put any data on it then the files will be displayed. 

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

gamidnightrider

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »
   Ok, i got it fixed but it had nothing to do with any of the fixes that where given. The ISP was blocking port 9000. Had to pay a fee and have them remove block and update settings.

bribor

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 02:12:37 AM »
   Hey - I think I'm having the exact same problem.  Spent hours on this and can't get it to work outside my own home network.  Did you by chance have Comcast?  I'm wondering if they're blocking port 9000.  Thanks,  Brian

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 08:14:45 AM »
It is possible please call them to verify

bribor

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 09:47:08 AM »
   Ok, I think I'm onto something now thanks to your help.  I found online which ports Comcast blocks, and doesn't seem to include the ones I'm using.  However, I do have a box from Vonage that's in front of the router which does have its own firewall and is acting as DHCP server.  I spent some time last night trying to reconfigure Vonage's box  - firewall off, etc.  Then tried to connect to LinkStation through my neighbor's connection (has come in handy when I need to check connection outside of home network); but still doesn't seem to work.  My next attempt will be to move the Vonage box behind the Belkin router, give it a static IP, disable firewall, do port forwarding for it, etc.  Hopefully I don't completely botch my phone service AND INternet!  I'm above my paygrade here, but feel like I'm onto something finally!
Message Edited by bribor on 12-18-2008 09:48 AM