Author Topic: Share a Single Folder on Web?  (Read 3725 times)

tobeornottobe

• Calf
Share a Single Folder on Web?
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »
   Is it possible to make just one folder on my mini available to all users without a password? I would like to have one folder that allows me to share files with others, while keeping most of my files password protected.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Share a Single Folder on Web?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »

All of the permissions have to be assigned to the main folder in the root level, all folders under it, and files with in it,  will have to follow the rights of the parent folder.

You can create many folders on the root level and assign rights to them.

Please put your IP address of the Buffalo into your Web browser window to access the configuration GUI. 

tobeornottobe

• Calf
Re: Share a Single Folder on Web?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »

Thanks for this. It was a bit more complicated than I anticipated and I had to muddle through the manual, but knowing it was possible was helpful and appreciated.

In my opinion, this is a very valuable, poorly documented, feature of the device considering that many people are paying quite a bit for online sharing of documents.

For those with an interest, the default folder is named, "share". It has all my critical documents on it, so it is password protected and I do not wish to share the password, but I sometimes need to share files with others that are too big to email.

I logged into to the GUI, as suggested, created a new folder that I called, "share2", then adjusted the permissions to make this folder available to anyone. For my host computer to be able to view this folder, I had to map it, which is explained in the manual. From what I can tell, the only way to add a file to this folder (share2) from a remote computer via www.buffalonas.com is to be logged in, so others can only download the file, not upload files to the folder. Thus, it does not appear this folder can be abused by others.

Sorry not to provide more specific step by step instructions, but a very useful feature for those needing to share large files.