Author Topic: Can we encrypt a Linkstation on the network using Secure Lock Ware ?  (Read 7155 times)

Lebej

• Calf

hi. i have a linkstation pro duo wich will be intended to be the remote backup of a tera pro II. I'd like to use some ecrytion on it, so i figured out secure lock ware would be fine. but it seems SLW doesn't work for network folders or even mapped drives, and surely not on a device on the network. the funny part is that on the SLK manual, first page with the figures we can see a linkstation and a minidrive . Can someone help ? maybe advise me another way to encrypt ?

again, sorry for my english, since i am begian ( even though it's not so bad )

thaks for whoever can help

:-)

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Can we encrypt a Linkstation on the network using Secure Lock Ware ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »
The devices use Rsnyc to transfer data across, you will not be able to install a 3rd party software to encrypt the data.  All data encryption has to be done through RSYNC

Lebej

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:49:36 PM »

Sorry for beeing really basic but what does RSYNC stand for ?

Is there any other program i can use like TrueCrypt or is it possible to run SLW on the terastation ?

thanx for the answer

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:53:14 AM »
The problem is you can't install anything on the NAS its just a storage tank.  RSYNC is a back up program written by IBM.  We have included it in our firmware, this software manages the back up operations of the Terastation.
Message Edited by Paul on 11-18-2008 09:53 AM

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »
To clarify what Paul has said, RSYNC has support for transport encryption, but unfortunately there is no way to encrypt the storage volume itself. The only way to encrypt the files would be to use a program that has support for file encryption. Full disk or volume encryption is unfortunately not an option.

Lebej

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:50:27 PM »

Thank you for this precious detail.

FireW0lf

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 09:05:52 AM »

Using TrueCrypt (a free OpenSource file encryption solution) you can encrypt the contents of your NAS box

This guide:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Encryption,_NTFS_Support,_and_Windows_Share_Management was written for the TeraStation but will work on any buffalo product

Hope this helps

Message Edited by FireW0lf on 12-26-2008 09:11 AM