Author Topic: Setting up USB unattended Backup  (Read 4146 times)

Proshooter

• Calf
Setting up USB unattended Backup
« on: December 25, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
   I have several 2TB Terastation Live units; HS-DH2.0TGL/R5 firm2.14 and a single HD-H1.0TGL/R5 form2.16. I am having trouble with one of the 2TB units and am worried about losing data in the process of resolving it (another thread). The reason I'm using a NAS RAID array is to protect my data while making it accessable.

I saw another member note that he had trouble with a unit and then stated "thank god I have nightly unattended usb backup". So now I'm thinking that maybe I need a 1.5TB USB drive for each of my R5 2TB TS units as well as a 750Gb for the 1TB TS unit.

My questions are; Can I use cheaper usb external drives other than additional TS units? I can get a 1.5TB usb external for each TS unit for about $200-250ea., rather than a complete duplicate set of TS units. How do I set these up to backup automatically, say between 10pm and 6am or something? Do I need special software or can I do this with Memeo?

I would like to eventually have all of my assets (over 10TB) at my fingertips, but I need to know that short of a physical disaster (fire) that I won't need a massive 20TB system to double backup everything securely. I am looking into Blu-ray backup quarterly, but the discs are still a little too expensive plus I've found significant occassional errors on the DVD collection spanning 10 years that I'm loading onto this NAS system. Online backup is too slow and expensive, so it looks like NAS units backed up by usb drives, backed up by optical media is my best plan. Yes?

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendations? all are appriciated.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Setting up USB unattended Backup
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:40:41 AM »
Any USB drive that you connect to the TeraStation is going to need to be formatted in XFS (from the TeraStation).  After its formatted and connected to your TeraStation you can schedule a number of different back up types from the web interface of the Buffalo.  Buffalo uses RSYNC from IBM to complete this job, no extra software is needed.

Proshooter

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 10:09:57 AM »
   I think I have a plan now. If I add a backup usb drive for each TS unit, format them XFS from each TS and setup auto backups, then if a TS unit or one or more of it's drives fail I can access the data from the usb drive either A) through that TS unit (assuming it's not completely dead), B) transfer the data back to the TS unit once it is fixed (drive replaced) or C) hook up the usb to another TS unit to access the data.

All true?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
All correct