Author Topic: Linkstaton Mini Raid 1 Array failed  (Read 7014 times)

Banjo

• Calf
Linkstaton Mini Raid 1 Array failed
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:32:13 AM »

Suddenly my Linkstation mini yellow led began to blink (firmware 1.06, RAID 1). Access to large file stored in it (like .avi files) wasn't possible. Little files access was ok (?).

Well, after few days, the Linkstation mini RED led began to blink (4 blinks). Weird, access to large file stored was possible at this time.

I decided to restore Linkstation to default settings, and to format it. The 4 steps of formatting process took about 3 days!

Well, after formatting, Linkstation was ok, no warning led on. But there was no Raid Array 1, so I decided to rebuilt it.

Well, after 2 days of the rebuilt process in act, the yellow led is still blinking, and I am not able to access to the web interface. NAS Navigator reports a yellow question mark on the unit, but there's no explanation to the error.

I'm not able to use the NAS. Maybe a broken HDD?

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Linkstaton Mini Raid 1 Array failed
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:58:51 AM »

The yellow light will give you a code, count the number of times it blinks (long and short). Report that back!

Turn the unit off and then boot it into EM mode. You can do this by holding the Function button as flip the switch to ON and then the Blue light will start flashing, press and hold the Function button again for 5 seconds.

See if the unit can boot and then if you can access the web interface.

Banjo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:16:33 AM »

Thanks for your reply!

Well, The yellow led blinks 1 long and 7 short.

I think error code is 17, whose meaning, I suppose, is "Unable to communicate with the RTC chip".

(Well, I found codes here, related to a different hardware, but I suppose it has the same code errors

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Information/LSProLED)

I tried the procedure that you suggest me. Linkstation Mini booted, yellow red continue to blink. Using NasNavigator, I confirmed a fixed IP address (like 192.168.0.9 for example), and I was able to enter the web interface, that changed language to... japanese! I tried to restore language to english, but web interface access stopped to work.

Banjo

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »

Maybe I could try to re-install firmware 1.06...

Any suggestion?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »

That is a physical failure of the motherboard.  You can try a reboot/reset but thats about it.

I would contact our support line for a replacement, assuming the unit is within its warranty.

Banjo

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:53:47 AM »

Thanks! I will contact italian support: I'm italian, but I bought the Linkstation in a e-shop in Germany, so they will tell me how to manage the RMA.

I hope the damage was not due to very hot weather here in Italy. Linkstation mini has no fan, and I use it 24h/24 7days/7...  

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:34 PM »

Actually 1 long and 7 short with a YELLOW light would be an Info message- RAID Resynching... If it was a RED light, THEN it would be a RTC Chip error.

When the RAID is resynching, it means that it is restructuring a drive into the array or checking to make sure there are no errors. This can take anywhere from 8-16 hours to complete in which you would not be able to access the unit

These are the actual error codes for a LS-WSGL

These are red blinks on the power light:

• 3 flashes - Partition problem with hard drive. Reformat the hard drive.
  • 4 flashes - Fan problem.
  • 5 flashes - ROM problem.
  • 6 flashes - "Hard Drive can not be recognized" or "Can't Load Kernel"
  • 7 flashes - Problem with motherboard (RAM, LAN, or Hard Drive controller).
*4 flashes or Fan problem can also be seen as a Firmware corruption!
Though it could easily be a motherboard issue!
Message Edited by kevin on 07-16-2009 05:54 AM