Author Topic: THIS IS MY FIRST POST!!!! PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY LINKSTATION HS-DH100L!!  (Read 7188 times)

steeda911

• Calf

Hello Everyone,
I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with. I currently have a buffalo linkstation live HS-DH1000L. I really like it but I am having problems with certain issues. I have searched the forums and other resource areas but have not gotten the information that I need. Maybe I am just missing it but I have not been able to find it. Any how let me start off with some specs for you.
-HS-DH1000L version 1.1 ( I know there are updated versions but just keep reading)
-Running NAS Navigator 2.18
-Linksys router
-I am running a dell computer with vista ultimate and kaspersky anti-virus program
-If you need any other specs let me know and I will get them to you.

The Linkstation Live is working great on my network and have no problems accessing it on my network. I can save items, play music (any format., mp3, mp4, windows media format, etc), watch movies, etc etc etc. The problems I am having is when I access them remotely from the web, weather it be from my own computer using internet explorer or using a computer from work.
I can access the linkstation live using webaccess and log in works fine but once I log in I get the security warning. I know this is from security certificate with the linkstation but how do I keep my browser from showing this.  I have added it as a trusted site but I keep getting the warning.  Once I click on the link to open the site everything works fine, it is just annoying. 

My other problem I am having is once I make access to my linkstation thru the webaccess it opens up my first folder (which is my music folder) and then I get this message, "A script on this page is causing IE to run slowly.  If it continues to run your computer may become unresponsive.  Do you want to abort the script?"  I always click "NO" I do not want to abort and it finishes opening up the folder and everything appears to be working properly. 

The other problem I am having is I cannot listen to any other music thru web access unless it is in mp3 format.  The Audio option on the lower left corner will open up but I cannot get any music to play.  How do I fix that?  Also if I click on a music file and it is an mp3 format I can get it to play if I click on the option that says preview Audio.  My understanding is that this nas has a flash player that should play music.  Is this something that was fixed in the updates?  Also if I am on my home network I can access any music file (does not matter what format it is in my computer will open it and play it)  I am only having the problem when I am accessing the nas thru webaccess.  If I try to open up a music file (thru webaccess) that is in any other format other than mp3 I get an error message from windows media player and it says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the server is not responding.  Any ideas or help would be great.

The problem when playing video is the same as music.  I can get any video to play from the linkstation if I am on my home network but if I access it from the web access I cannot get video to play.  I get the same error message when I try to play music.  Any ideas or comments. 

Okay I know I need to update my firmware but I am having a problem with it.  I cannot seem to get the firmware to load.  I am able to download it from the buffalo website and I can upzip the file and change the 1 to a 0 on the bug area but for some reason I am getting an error code.  Is it a must to put the linkstation into EM mode to get it to work.  Also will I experience any problems with the firmware or something I need to be aware of. 

If I need to clear up anything let me know because I may have been unclear about certain issues.  I really appreciate any help or comments. 

Thanks in advance

Kris

JoshC

• Big Bull
When you tried to update the firmware did you just try to update it without forcing it?  Did the updater find the unit?  The security settings are set on your PC and the only way to get that to stop is to turn off your firewall settings or what ever program you have running as a firewall.  Whats the error code when you try to update the firmware?

steeda911

• Calf
   I did turn the security settings off. Everything from anti-virus to firewalls. When I get home tomorrow I can tell you what the error code is. I assumed I was forcing the firmware but maybe you can walk me thru the forcing process to make sure I am doing it right. Thanks kris

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

The force update procedure is posted on the front page of the storage website:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=9309

Also you do not need to force the update, but it sound like you are doing it incorrectly anyway.  You will want to change "version check" to "0" and make "debug = 1".  Let us know about the error code for the music.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 07-13-2009 04:04 PM

steeda911

• Calf
   Okay that is the way I have been trying to do the update but I keep getting an error that saysb"buffalo Linkstation Updater has stopped working"  Then right below it, it says "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program an dnotify you if a solution is found.  I did have the firewalls turned off.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to put the linstation into EM mode?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

Try booting your computer into safe mode with networking.  This will let us know if there is any software confliction with the updater.  Also when you run the updater make sure the NASNAVI is completely closed out.  Also make sure to hardwire your computer and disable your wireless.

If all else fails try re-downloading the firmware from our website.  Something may have happened during the download.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 07-13-2009 07:50 PM

steeda911

• Calf

Ok I finally got the firmware to update.  I had to disconnect the linkstation from the router and hook it right up to my computer.  I then loaded vista into safe mode and turned off the wireless on my computer.  The firmware updated to 2.11 with no problems. 

Now on to the next problem hopefully we can solve one at a time. 

-When I log into the buffalonas.com website and put in my linkstation name to log in I get the Certificate Error page.  It states there is a problem with this website's security certificate.  I then get the option to either

-close the web page

-continue to this web page (not recommended)

How do I keep from getting this error page.  I can click on the continue to this web page and everything works fine.  I just think this is a pain in the butt.  I have added this page as a trusted site but how do I keep this from popping up. 

Once we get this figured out I have another question

Thanks in advance,

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
This is normal when using HTTPS/SSL. The Linkstation uses a self-signed SSL certificate, which the browser doesn't recognize since it wasn't signed by a certificate authority (like Verisign). Getting a certificate signed by a certificate authority would have added a significant cost to the product.

In IE, you can install the certificate, but it will still give you the security warning. In Firefox, you can add an exception, which installs the certificate

steeda911

• Calf
   ok I can accept this.  Just a little annoying but I can accept it.