Author Topic: Sporadically losing network connection with TeraStation  (Read 11941 times)

BillJr

• Calf
Sporadically losing network connection with TeraStation
« on: October 16, 2008, 08:44:44 PM »

I have been having a problem with my TeraStation sporadically losing its network connection.  Both the Link/Act light on the TeraStation and the corresponding light on the Linksys gigabit switch go out.  Sometimes rebooting the TeraStation corrects the problem but sometimes not.  Yesterday through today nothing seemed to help.  I have switched cables and gigabit switch ports with negative results.  I tried connecting the TeraStation directly to the computer per KB#000023 with both static IPs referred to in the article (shouldn't there be only one?) and even though the Link/Act light was on (green), I was unable to connect to the TeraStation via IE7. 

Today after all the switching, I restored the original cable to the original port on the gigabit switch and some time after the TeraStation was rebooted, it regained connectivity at the gigabit level (Link/Act light is blue).  I am currently copying some of the files from the TeraStation to another NAS box with (apparently) no problems.

I realize sporadic problems can be difficult to impossible to solve, but I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Thanks,

Bill

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Sporadically losing network connection with TeraStation
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:45:22 AM »

I would first update the firmware on the unit then do a factory reset in the Web Interface of the device.

(no data will be lost) only user configurations. 

BillJr

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »

Paul,

Unfortunately I have not been able to get the TeraStation to re-connect to the network.  I even cut power to it without a proper shutdown to no avail. 

For what it's worth, the light on the gigabit switch lights up when I first start the TeraStation back up, although the Link/Act light on the TeraStation does not.  However, the light on the gigabit switch goes out after maybe 10-15 seconds.

As this is one of the early TeraStations (at least 3 years old, I think), I think I'm going to have to regard this one as a lost cause and replace the whole box.

Bill

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »
I would try a direct connect first then boot it up while holding the init button down, into (EM MODE).  The default IP of the NAS will be 192.168.11.150.  If you set a static IP on your PC with in the same subnet you may be able to flash the firmware on it, and recover it.

BillJr

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:36:50 AM »

After two reboots with the init button pushed, I'm still unable to connect to the TeraStation.  Each reboot took several hours and only the access lights were blinking, not the Status/Full lights.  During and after the reboots, both the Diag and Power lights continue blinking.  The Link/Act light is on (but it doesn't look like anybody is home).

Bill

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:23:10 AM »
If the unit is still in warranty I would do an advanced replacement and just swap your drives with the new unit.  You keep your data and you will get a new board with a new nic card on it.

BillJr

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:42:43 PM »

Paul,

The TeraStation is long out of warranty.  I have CD/DVD backups of the files I couldn't copy off it, so I will restore them to another NAS box and give the TeraStation a decent funeral.  Thanks for your help.

Bill

ulrick65

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:12:26 PM »

I have this same problem.  I kept losing the link, rebooting would correct it....until today.  Now, I can not get the link to come back.  Same problem as BillJr...tried cables, different switch, etc. all to no avail.

How do I find out if this unit is still under warranty?  This is an HS-DH4.0TGL/R5 Terastation 4TB.

I would think that the NIC is the bad component here...and likely these are not the only two to go bad.  Is there a way (if warranty is not good) to get another card an replace it myself?  Unlike BillJr, this is my backup device and I don't other copies.

Thanks for the help.

Eric

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 06:22:55 PM »
This unit has a 1 yr warranty from the proof of purchase.  Have you flashed the firmware?

ulrick65

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 11:33:33 PM »
   It's older than that.  I can't remember if I flashed it or not...but I do know it has the current firmware as is listed on the site.  I was able to get it to reconnect and it's functioning fine right now.  Man, I hope this thing is not on it's way out.  Haven't had it that long and 4TB was not cheap...

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »
I would flash it again, we are not even close to a dead unit.

ulrick65

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 06:52:57 PM »

Im unable to reload the firmware. It says not found.  I tried direct connection to it, disabled antivirus and fireway and still not find it.

Any ideas?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »
You can always try the TFTP loader.  Search the forum for TFTP, I have a nice write up with the link to the software tagged.