Author Topic: TS Live to TS Live backup 10-times slower after upgrading switch from Ethernet 10/100 to Gigabit  (Read 3675 times)

jfourman

• Calf

I have two TS Lives. I use the Disk Backup function to perform a nightly, differential backup. I upgraded the Linksys switch that connects the TeraStations from a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 (model EZXS88W) to a Linksys Gigabit switch (model EG008W). Both TS Lives are on the same switch. Both TSs display that they have a Link Speed of 1000Mbps Full Duplex.

After the switch upgrade, the time to backup a 30GB file has increased by more than 5 times. I have tried to set the Ethernet Frame Options to the default and the various Jumbo Frame settings with no result. I don't believe the EG008W supports Jumbo Frames. Even without the Jumbo Frame support, I would not have expected the transfer time to increase by 5 times. It now takes about 10 hours to backup a 30GB file. It does seem that the Gigabit switch has improved the performance of streaming videos from the TS Live to my PS3. It seems that the issue is with the TS to TS communication over the switch. The switch is connected to a Linksys 10/100 8 port Router (model BEFSR81). Does the router enter into the equation if the TSs are both on the same Gigabit switch? I use static IP addresses.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

jfourman

• Calf
   I solved the issue. After setting the Ethernet Frame Size on both TS Live's back to the 1,518 bytes default, everything worked. The backups are running at 7-8 Mbps.