Author Topic: Help cannot write to usb drive  (Read 10859 times)

unix1adm

• Calf
Help cannot write to usb drive
« on: October 25, 2008, 03:22:41 PM »

I have a linkstation and have 2 usb drive attached to it. 1 is a 250G drive and one is a 1T Hitachi. If I plug them directly into my laptop i can writ eto them. teh 1T has 500G free.

When I try to write to them over the network uwhen they are attached to the linkstation I get the disk is full or write protected.

I checked the setting  and I do not have any permission enabled. I even tried to enable them and say admin and gues had full acess and still cannot writ to it. 

The 1T drive is NTFs if that makes a diffrence or  not. I dont think so. 

Please help. I want to use this drive to backup my linkstation 

drawingmecrazy

• Calf
Re: Help cannot write to usb drive
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 05:26:27 PM »
   I am having the same exact problem. I have a Linkstation Duo, everything is fine over the network except the USB, I can see it, format it, but not write or change anything. I have checked all the setting, IT IS NOT THE PERMISSIONS, (at least not that I can see, unless there are some hidden ones) works fine when connected to my PC. It is a Maxtor 250G. ---- HELP!

unix1adm

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:00:29 PM »

i have a feeling its not permissions. just dont know tried everything i can think of.

This is my fw versin

LinkStation Description
LinkStation

Firmware Version

mas985

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 12:29:46 AM »
   USB drives must be formated in XFS or EXT3. Otherwise you can only read the drive.

unix1adm

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 02:04:31 PM »

you gotta be kidding me. so I have to find a way to move all my 500G of data then reformat it.

That cannot be right. 

unix1adm

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 01:38:42 PM »

I just got off the line with tech support. NTFS is windows only so I cannot write to the drive but I can read from it.

Even if I format the drive in fat32 the most I can do is use the backup utility to write my data from teh linkstation to the  1T drive. 

From what i have read I can format the drive in xfs but then cannot use it as a direct attach to a PC laptop later on. I have a smaller 250G drive I will format in xfs and see what happens. 

mas985

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 04:02:01 PM »

No I wasn't kinding. Kind of upset me too when I found out. 

There is a free utility that you can use which will read EXT3 formated disks in windows. It is called Explore2FS and can be found here:

http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

or

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Message Edited by mas985 on 10-27-2008 02:02 PM
Message Edited by mas985 on 10-27-2008 02:05 PM
Message Edited by mas985 on 10-27-2008 02:05 PM

jhon

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
I found this old post, but I am having the same issue. Do I still have to format my USB drive in the formats them mention here to be able to write to it when it is plugged into my Buffalo Net drive?

Oh, How do I format to XFS or EXT3?

My first  post,  will I have to answer the 3 stupid questions every time I post, or will that go away after a while
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:08:03 PM by jhon »

jhon

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 04:27:14 PM »
I found this old post, but I am having the same issue. Do I still have to format my USB drive in the formats them mention here to be able to write to it when it is plugged into my Buffalo Net drive?

Oh, How do I format to XFS or EXT3?

My first  post,  will I have to answer the 3 stupid questions every time I post, or will that go away after a while

For any other lost soles that searches for this problem and finds this, here is how I solved this problem.

I tried to use the format tool with the Nas Navigator software but all it did was destroy the NTSF format and split my partition into two unreadable sections. So then I used mini partition tool wizard pro and re-partitioned and reformatted in in one step But it took about 8 hours so I did it while I slept. I got up in the am and plugged it into my Nas and I was able to write to it.
But beware, you can no longer plug this into your computer and read it without third party software. It is only readable through your buffalo nas. I did read that if you partitioned it in fat, everything would work as well, but I use this for large files, and fat can't handle files over a certain size,