Author Topic: Vista 64 bit Tera/LinkStation administration?  (Read 8483 times)

AlanZ

• Calf
Vista 64 bit Tera/LinkStation administration?
« on: October 14, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »

I recently installed a desktop with Vista 64 bit installed.

Today, I tried to install and use NAS navigator to view my Terastation 2TB (has been on my network for about a year), but it does not show any found.  I can see this from my other machines, including a Vista (32 bit) machine.

Later in the day I purchased a LinkStation, and tried to install it using the Vista 64 bit machine.  Once again, no hardware found.

I moved the installation disk to a Windows XP machine and it installed easily.

Are there any Buffalo NAS admin tools (other than the web admin) that work with Vista 64?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Vista 64 bit Tera/LinkStation administration?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:29:29 AM »

Causes: Vista defaults to only send the more secure NTLMv2 protocol, which these NAS devices / Samba do not support.

Fixes: Go to Start -> Run -> "secpol.msc". Then goto Local Policies -> Security Options. Find "Network Security: LANManager authentication level". Change the setting from "Send NTLMv2response only" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security ifnegotiated". Save the setting and then reboot the computer.

Note: Buffalo has a download that does the same thing,but it involves messing with the registry by incorporating a ".reg"file. It is much better (and probably easier) to just use the abovesteps.

New Note: Seems some copies of Vista do not have"secpol.msc", probably the Home versions(Home Basic and Home Premium).These users will either need to use the download from Buffalo or go into their Registry edit

Regedit instructions:
  1. Start->Search Bar or Run and enter "regedit"
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Control->Lsa
  3. Right-click on "lmcompatibilitylevel" and choose Modify
  4. Set the Value Data to 2 (default is 3) and click OK
  5. Exit regedit and reboot
  6. Try to connect again
]

Can't login using a user name on a restricted share

Causes: Possibly due to cached passwords or different password/name resolution in Vista.

Fixes: Try connecting to "\\IPAddress" instead of"\\NASName". Also, try using "WorkgroupName\UserName","\\NASName\UserName", or "\\NASIPAddress\UserName".

Fixes: Try going into the command prompt and entering(without quotes) "NET USE \\[IP or NetBIOS name of NAS]\[folder that isbeing restricted] /d" and then try logging into the share again.

AlanZ

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 05:13:13 PM »

I did the steps you suggested and rebooted, same problem

Regedit instructions:
  1. Start->Search Bar or Run and enter "regedit"
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Control->Lsa
  3. Right-click on "lmcompatibilitylevel" and choose Modify
  4. Set the Value Data to 2 (default is 3) and click OK
  5. Exit regedit and reboot
  6. Try to connect again

By the way, the default value for the LMCompatibilityLevel was 0, not 3... and I changed it to 2

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »

With the Nas software aside can you map a drive to the unit via the IP Address?

The software only tells you what IP the device is running on.  All of the configuration should be done in the web interface.

AlanZ

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 11:30:23 AM »

Yes, I can administer through the web interface.

The NAS navigator gives a quick overview of the devices, versions, and drive spaced used, so I check it more often than I do the config screens.

I'm just curious why it doesn't work.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »

I will run some tests with the different versions of the nas software, honestly we don't use it much other then to locate the hardware on the network for the first time.  I will post again when I have some other results

AlanZ

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 09:44:19 PM »

Well, it's a little more than that.

I can't install firmware updates from Vista 64 either because it doesn't recognize the hardware as being present.  I suspect this is the same thing that's happening with the NAS Navigator.  Firmware updates using Windows XP worked fine.

AlanZ

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 03:26:33 PM »

It turns out that the problem wasn't Vista 64 at all.

It was a firewall issue.  My firewall (ESET Smart Security) was automatically suppressing the network connections for several applications.  Once I switched from automatic to interactive filtering, I was able to give NAS Navigator permission, and now it works.