Author Topic: HS DH500GL Setting Permissions via Web interface  (Read 9840 times)

gniknalu

• Calf
HS DH500GL Setting Permissions via Web interface
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:18:07 PM »

Using the web interface, I set up a user named "Joe" and a share named "Test" and give "Joe" Read/Write access to "Test".

Then, from a PC I access the LS-Live via \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and then map the "Test" share to the "Z" drive. In the process I authenticated as the "Joe" user when mapping the drive.

When the "Test" share (the Z drive) is opened, I am unable to create a folder or add content.

From a Linux workstation I also mounted the "Test" share authenticating as the "Joe" user with the same results.

Why can't user "Joe" write to volume "Test"?

Thanks

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: HS DH500GL Setting Permissions via Web interface
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 01:34:45 PM »

For the first map make sure your fire wall and anti virus software is disabled then map it \\IP_OF_NAS\test

it will ask for user access one time.  Then you should not have an issue any more.  You can then turn on your software.  If this still does not work then flash the firmware and set the unit back to factory defaults with in the web GUI.

gniknalu

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »

My Linux box does not have anything that would impeed authentication (no firewall nor virus protection) and is still experiencing the same problem. All the machines on the network, regardless of their anti-virus/firewall status, have the same problem.

Other boxes, Windows or Linux/Samba, do not exhibit authentication issues with shares.

Guess I could try putting it back to factory defaults after I take the 78 gig of data off and put it on the old samba box. . . .

Too bad the web interface doesn't show the output of a smbstatus command.

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:42:01 PM »
The user should have read/write access to the folder. However, if you have the user in a group which is in the read only category then the read permissions would be the dominant ones. Outside of this try just defaulting the unit from the reset button on the back, this won't affect any of the data stored on the unit, only configuration settings.

gniknalu

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 06:50:35 PM »
   That was the problem - the users were in multiple groups. (I put the admins in all groups so they can access all shares.) Remapped the permissions and it seems to work. Thanks!