Author Topic: Mirroring files onto Linkstation Mini using Robocopy does not seem to work  (Read 8879 times)

BenTaylor

• Calf

Hi All,

I own the cute little Linkstation Mini, which sits silently doing its job.  However, I have been trying to setup some Robocopy jobs and I have been having problems. 

I have several PCs in my home and I want to setup a Robocopy job on each one, to mirror a specific folder from each, onto the Linkstation mini.  I run each job once, to copy all the files over (using /MIR to mirror).  However, when I re-run the jobs Robocopy starts copying all of the files, even though they have not changed!?  I can't see anything wrong with the file times on the Linkstation Mini, but I have used Robocopy for years, and never had this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, I see that there is a new version of the firmware (1.05).  I am running 1.04.  However, I cannot find a change log or release notes for the new firmware (even in the download).  Is there one anywhere, and does it have anything relevant to this issue in it (fingers crossed) ?

Regard,

Ben

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Mirroring files onto Linkstation Mini using Robocopy does not seem to work
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 02:03:53 PM »
I would recommend flashing the firmware however I don't think that it  will resolve your issue.  How are you mapping the drive?  Try mapping your PC via IP address and not via name.  Have you called Robocopys support?  They may have a workaround for backing up to a network NAS that is formatted in XFS.

BenTaylor

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 03:55:17 PM »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.  I did not think of Googling for Robocopy and XFS.  I have just done so, and seen that other people have had similar problems.  Looks like you cannot use Robocopy with /MIR.  I will try and create a custom command line using the many switches RoboCopy has.  If I get something up and running I will post it back here for others.

--

Ben Taylor

http://bentaylor.org/

BenTaylor

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 04:51:45 AM »

OK.  You CAN use Robocopy with the Linkstation Mini.  However, you have to use the /FFT switch on the Robocopy command line along with your other switches like /MIR. 

The reason for this, is that the Mini's disk is XFS formatted and the XFS date resolution is 1 nanosecond, while NTFS (which is what I am using) is 100 nanosecond resolution.  This means the filetimes will not match.  Fortunately, you can tell Robocopy to use a less granular filetime comparison by specifying /FFT.  /FFT translates to "assume FAT file times.  And FAT file times means a granularity of 2 seconds.

Works for me!

Message Edited by BenTaylor on 09-23-2008 04:55 AM