Author Topic: restricting shares to defined users  (Read 7580 times)

Francious

• Calf
restricting shares to defined users
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:35:45 PM »
   I'm tring to restrict shares to defined users by login in , however I cant seem to enable access restriction and open share created with login password, message reports multiple users not allowed. Does this mean I have to format the disk into seperate partions to creat multiple virtual drives. The login should work for as many allowed access to drive as can be assigned. Does the NAS unit recognize IP addresses as assigned the specific PCs. Can I even perform what I'm attepting with this setup?
Message Edited by Francious on 09-15-2008 09:36 PM

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: restricting shares to defined users
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »

You have to create your users first, then enable access restrictions.  When you enable access restrictions you have to highlight the users then use the arrows to kick them to the read or read/write categories. 

When a use maps a drive to the nas it will ask for login information (to map go to my computer/tools/map network drive).  Then you can access the directory your looking for.  

Multiple users can not log into the admin interface (GUI) with out getting that error message.

TIP: Map via IP address not name (Example   \\192.168.11.150\share   )

robin

• Global Moderator
Re: restricting shares to defined users
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »
This is a deliberate limitation of Windows.  You can find instructions for the workaround in the user manual under "Troubleshooting Multiple Shares".