Author Topic: Windows, Mac or Linux? Which do you use?  (Read 12462 times)

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Windows, Mac or Linux? Which do you use?
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:15:10 PM »

Just curious to see what OS the mod's / admins and users use/prefer and why?

What phones do you use? (drmemory edit)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

CuiZinieR

• Calf
Re: Windows, Mac or Linux? Which do you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:28:25 AM »

Windows 7 Professional x64.

I always sticked with Windows since the beginning. Probably because of a gaming purpose and because I'm too used to Windows software to switch to another OS.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »

I've got two with Mac 10.6.x, one with 10.5, one with Win7 pro 64 and one with Win7 home 64.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 11:03:05 AM »

drmemory wrote:

I've got two with Mac 10.6.x, one with 10.5, one with Win7 pro 64 and one with Win7 home 64.

MAC :O Ugghh. I have to say its the one OS that i cannot stand.

Personlly i use a mixture of Linux / Windows. Mainly Linux now since i'm not into gaming and so have no reason to use Windows anymore.

On my main PC i have XP Pro 32bit, Fedora 13 and Win 7 Ultimate 32bit.

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:29:26 AM »

I use Mac for managing web sites and music/graphic-related things (music files, burning CDs, making band posters), and PC for business, geneology, and home security devices.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »

What is everyone else using - and how sophisticated is your network?

olaf001

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »

Windows XP,I like this system

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 05:27:50 AM »

This would be my home layout:

ADSL line ------------------------> WBMR-HP-GN (wired) ------> LS-CHL-V2 + LTH90LAN

|

| (Wireless) (2x laptops tri booted with Linux, Windows7 and XP

|

V

(Connected as an EC to the WBMR-HP-GN)       WHR-G300NV2 ----> (wired) TS-HTGL/R5, HS-DHGL, HD/HTGL/R5, TS-XL

|

| (wired)

|

V

WHR-HP-G54 (flashed with DD-WRT acting as a repeater bridge to boost the WLAN 2 the garden)

|

| (wireless)

|

V

2 x PC-P4 Link Theathers connected for media/video access.

Various Drivestations connected to NAS' for backup purposes.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:13:57 AM »

nice setup!   I'll have to work on a layout for mine and post it. I have security cams and door/window sensors built in to my setup, which also connect to the TVs, so I can view in and out side my house from my TVs and even offsite (like from work).

uhClem

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 08:51:52 PM »

We're running three Mac OS X 10.6 machines here.  (me: MacBook Pro, wife: MacBook, daughter: Mini)  I was initially attracted to OS X due to the Unix underpinnings.  At that time it was wayyyy more robust than Windows.  I'd hoped to do some personal software development, but have not gotten around to it, due to job and family pressures.   At $DAYJOB, I work on all manner of Unix/Linux systems and a Windows XP as my workstation (although I spend most of my time on it in telnet/ssh...)   My MBP serves as a secondary workstation when I'm on the job.

donls

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »
[Calling Dr Memory...]

FYI, I am on a MacBook Pro (2011 vintage, running Mavericks), but also use a G5 Mac Pro (OSX 10.5.8) and an iMac (10.7.5) and a Linux box (subject to fluctuation). My wife has a G5 Mac Pro, also with 10.5.8, a Mac Mini (10.6.8), and my old MacBook (10.6.8).

Bottom line: I gave my wife a LS-XL NAS for her birthday (BIG thrill!), especially happy since it says it supports 10.3.9 and later. Now, it looks like it's restricted to Intel CPUs only, not PPC. Any further suggestions? (and will look for another place to post this last block).