Author Topic: Need shipping info to sent my drive to Canada  (Read 6429 times)

lynnep55

• Calf
Need shipping info to sent my drive to Canada
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »

Buffalo Technology HD-QS1.0TSU2/R5 1.0TB DriveStation Quattro USB 2.0 and FireWire Combo

External Hard Drive with TurboUSB (Black)

I copied this info from my original shipping invoice.

Our small company has staff in Canada, and I need to ship the drive mentioned above to them.

To get the paper work complete I need the following info:

Country of Origin of Product

HTS #

ECCN #

I called our customs broker and he told me to go directly to the manufacturer for this info.

Yesterday I sat on hold for 45 minutes and today I was on hold for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Now I am trying the forum.

Does anyone know what there numbers are for an external hard drive?

Thank God I don't need tech support - I would be shipping this drive back.

It would be better NOT to list a customer service number than list one that no one ever answers -

Very Frustrated in Dallas!!

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: Need shipping info to sent my drive to Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 03:14:52 PM »

Update: HTS is 8471.70.5065  for all external HDD products.

Canada doesn't ask for the other number, but we are asking our Japan counterparts to send it, if they have it.

Support Manager

lynnep55

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:51:11 AM »

Thanks for the number - according to my shipping people, I must have both numbers - they are just doing what they are told.

I appreciate your help in this matter.

Grateful!!

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:06:16 AM »

Are your "shipping people", the actual Canada Customs agents? Who is telling them about these requirements - I'd just personally like to know.

I ship HDD products, via Fedex International, on a weekly basis, with only declared value. It doesn't seem like there would be two sets of standards for Canadian Custom agents.

Please send your package through Fedex or US Postal, instead of your shipping people, and you won't need the numbers that your shipping people are requiring. We have shipped HDD product to Canada for over 10 years without Customs requiring these numbers.

Here's what was given to me - the last time a customer asked for the information - sorry I can't be of further help with this.

here's how to find the ECCN number:

Determine the classification yourself.

Review the alphabetical index to the Commerce Control List (CCL) (Supplement 1 to Part 774 of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR)). The index will give an ECCN for each item listed. Look in the corresponding CCL category to determine if your item is described by that ECCN. The CCL is available on the EAR Website. You may need to review more than one ECCN description. Instructions for using the CCL are found in EAR Part 738.

or

Get an official classification from the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS).

Submit a classification request on on-line through the Simplified Network Application Process Redesign (SNAP-R). For instructions on obtaining a Company Identification Number and PIN number to access the on-line SNAP-R system, go to www.bis.doc.gov/snap/pinsnapr.htm

Instructions and additional guidance on submitting a classification request is available on this Web site www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/cclrequestguidance.html and www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/bis_eccn.pdf

This is the only way to receive an official BIS classification of your item. While BIS can provide oral advice and guidance on using the CCL, we cannot give definitive classification decisions over the phone.