Author Topic: The Regulars on this Board  (Read 11019 times)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
The Regulars on this Board
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »

Saw this board didn't have anything posted in a while so I thought I'd contribute to it by giving thanks to the regulars on this board who aren't moderators (Davo, Rinthos, Aveyer and every other "herd member" ) .  You guys make our jobs a lot easier and you help people out on a daily bases.  I think I speak for everyone here when I say thanks.

If you want, share a bit about yourselves, we get curious about people who take time out of their day to help others.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 08-10-2009 10:37 PM

rinthos

• Buffalo
Re: The Regulars on this Board
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:37:17 PM »

Thanks @ Colin137 for the reference to this.  I guess I'll take the first stab at this, but I better not be the 'lone ranger' ;) 

Also @ the Buffalo team, would likewise be interested to hear from yall as well.

First off, can't thank the 'regulars' without thanking the Moderators and admins for keeping the forums going.  They've been a great resoruce for many of us, so much appreciated!

So lets see... background in computer science and management information systems.

I've worked on driver development and then shifted to telecom solutions.  After that general system administration and system deployment coordination work.

Currently work for a rather large corporation in IT infrastructure, with a specialization in storage, data protection, and associated service hosting models and service levels.  With the current stock market, retirement is still too far out to see (maybe one day...possibly.... :) ).

This includes (but is not limited to) Fibre Channel SAN, iSCSI SAN, FibreChannel over Ethernet (FCoE), CIFS, NFS, and various enterprise-class solutions.  Also the compliance part of the business is becoming more key everyday, as well as Disaster Recovery (DR).

Smaller NAS-type devices (such as Buffalo Terastations and Linkstations) come into play with small office, home office, and remote site settings.  The small NAS devices I've worked with include a variety of Buffalo, Netgear, QNap, Iomega(EMC), and a few in-house 'creations'.

Again, thanks to everyone that keeps these forums productive.  They've been -very- helpful so I'm always happy to give back to the community when I can.  Hope I've met expectations w/ this post but I won't object to any questions at this point.  ;)

Thanks,

---

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 01:17:35 AM »
   Also thanks to Colin for the email link. I'm only a 17(almost 18) y/o learning about networks and wireless stuff  since the end of 08. Really only started into it since there has been nothing but problems with the WISP I'm with, lol.
Message Edited by Aveyer on 08-11-2009 07:37 AM

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:07:33 AM »

@Aveyer,

That's when it all starts, 17-18.  Give it a few years (if not already) and you'll be designing network solutions for your friends/family. ;)

---

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:43:07 PM »
Yeah, and then in another year, you'll be cursing their name for calling you every three days :)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »

Wow, 17 years old.. I don't think that I knew what a router was when I was 17.  I really only got into networking the past few years.  I got my first router (which was a Buffalo HP G54 believe it or not) and started learning a bit about wireless networking.  Then a friend of mine and I started building file servers/computers and he started teaching me a little bit about linux and web design.  That same friend got me my job here at Buffalo.

Other than that I love to travel (I've gotten a chance to see alot of the world), I love sports (American football, boxing and baseball) and the occasional video game.  I am also getting married next year and just bought my first house!

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:37:26 PM »

I actually got into networking when I was 17... it started when I took a Cisco CCNA class in high school. You've still got me beat on expertise at that age though, Aveyer :)

I've been working for Buffalo for about 3.5 years now. When I started, I was pretty clueless, but taking phone calls during training allowed me a crash course in networking issues. Since then, I've expanded my horizons quite a bit. After cutting my Linux teeth on Gentoo (and boy was that a pain), I've been running Ubuntu at home for a couple years now. Recently I've gotten into programming, currently I'm fleshing out my PHP skills. 

In my free time I enjoy playing guitar and trombone, and of course, FPS and RPG video games.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
   Do you play any Source games(Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead etc) Colin?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 04:19:23 PM »

Nope, I have a $300 computer. It runs Linux perfectly, though :P

I mostly play xbox 360 games. Favorites include the last two installments of Call of Duty, as well as Fallout 3.  Left for Dead and TF2 are great, though.

Message Edited by Colin137 on 08-11-2009 04:19 PM

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »
A big Thanks to all the regulars and mods!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 12:19:45 PM »

forgot the write on this thead, (thanks for the mail :P) Did advanced computer programming in uni and got my honours degree in it. only got into the networking aspect about 2 years ago and so im thinking about going into that field altogether as i prefer the "hand on" approach. I own several Buffalo devices including TS's, LS's, DS's, seveal routers and 3 link theathers :P

I mod an extremely large phpbb forum already so i know the work and effort the mods / admin go to. (although its rarely acknowledged)

Keep up the good work guys !

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

rachelgrr

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »

I am new on this board and I want to chime in and say Thank you to the regulars. Even though I'm new I know it takes time out of your day to help us out and that is greatly appreciated. I also wanted to give a huge thumbs up to the community here. I browsed around before joining because some communities are hostile. Yours is very friendly and it will be a pleasure to be a part of things here.

Thanks!

Rachel 

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »

Looks like more regulars are chiming in more often, and providing good help, and questions.

avgadvertising

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 02:30:42 AM »

Wonderful Posting buddy thanks for sharing with us.