Author Topic: Linkstation LS-CHL blinking red after wake-up, what happened ?  (Read 6970 times)

nalf

• Calf
Linkstation LS-CHL blinking red after wake-up, what happened ?
« on: January 31, 2009, 04:44:45 AM »

Hello,

My Linkstation Live (LS-CHL F/W 1.02) is set to automatically go to sleep in the evening and wake up in the morning.

This morning I got into the room half an hour after the wake up time, and it was blinking red - I could get no error code from it as there was no 'long' flash and short 'flash'. It wasn't visible on the network (no web admin interface, no shared folders. I tried switching the power to off, the light went off but something (drive or ventilator ?) was still spinning. Turning the power on again didn't change anythin -- no light, still some spinning inside.

I got impatient so I did the stupid thing of disconnecting the power cable. After reconnecting it powered on normally and it now seems to work.

Now I'd like to understand what happened, if possible, and more importantly Id' like to know if it's indication of future trouble.

Is there any way to see a log or something ? I couldn't find any from the web admin interface.

Precisions : every service on the Linkstation is disabled except standard network share and FTP acess -- all computers on the network were turned off and nobody could have been writing something from FTP (the only 2 people with rights to do that were not near a computer).

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation LS-CHL blinking red after wake-up, what happened ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 06:34:55 PM »
There should have been some pattern to the red light flashing. This will tell you the error that occurred.

rjames

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:29:12 AM »
   LED Flash Codes:
3 flashes - Partition problem with hard drive. Reformat the hard drive.
4 flashes - Fan problem.
5 flashes - ROM problem.
6 flashes - Hard Drive can not be recognized.
7 flashes - Problem with motherboard (RAM, LAN, or Hard Drive controller).
Troubleshooting

(from pdf manual)

nalf

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 04:17:29 AM »
   There was no pattern at all, just the same kind of blinking as when it is booting only in red.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »
That's odd... Update the firmware, then reset the unit from Maintenance->Initialization. Let me know if the issue happens again.

neab

• Calf
Blinks 6 times, really affraid to ask what now
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:40:39 AM »

There has got to be another way to fix this other than reformatting. I've only had the unit 2 months!!?!? I would be depressed if I lost all my backups.

Please someone have some good news for me.

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Blinks 6 times, really affraid to ask what now
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 06:42:48 PM »

The firmware update and the reset to defaults do not touch the data partition, unless there is already an unrecoverable problem with the data partition. If there is such a problem, the firmware updater will confirm that you want to format.

The 6 blinks error code is unfortunately "Hard drive cannot be recognized". I recommend contacting your local support line to set up a warranty replacement.

Message Edited by Colin137 on 03-23-2009 06:44 PM