Author Topic: Linkstation Quad "Modified Date" problems  (Read 17398 times)

Memoryman

• El Toro
Re: Linkstation Quad "Modified Date" problems
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 11:18:58 AM »

The Buffalotech Japan engineers explain the difference as due to the Linkstation and Terastation have different OS than Windows or Mac, therfore they are on a slightly different time schedule.

JohnGray

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 05:28:22 AM »

In the UK there is a word 'balderdash', which I take to mean a statement which explains absolutely nothing, and is devoid of factual meaning.   I need say no more...

harald

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »

I'd use a stronger word or two - just to get their attention.

Worse problem with DriveStation FlexNet  HD-CELU2.

Drive looses about 6 to 7 seconds every minute.

Makes it pretty useless for backups or trying to find files by date as I just saw some files created two days ago have creation dates of over 10 days ago . Drive installed Jan 3, 2010.

At least the drive hasn't failed in the first 30 days - Guess I'll have to verify each of the 800GB of files to see if any have been corrupted.  What a waste of time.

AndyCopper

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 03:52:21 AM »

Hi, I'm having the same problems. we got this box to use a load of xcopy comands:

xcopy "F:\SQL_Backups\*.*" "A:\" /D /V /E

I agree that this should 'just work'. I have started rewriting loads o scripts using robocopy but this also doesn't seem to work.

I'm fairly fed up about this!

When is there going to be a fix????/

I may well have to return the box. Shame because my organisation prababy would have purchased a load of them if they had worked....

lojk

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »

Yep, I too have a problem with my brand new Terastation 3 TS-XL 4TB (firm V1.40) :-( and i'm proper annoyed about it as like many other posters here i bought the box with the intention of using xcopy to automate backups.

At first I thought it was me being daft but i am reassured that others are experiencing the same problem - I tried xcopy with /s /e /d /c /h /r /y, using uppers and lowers also tried using windows synctoy and that was just as confused by the filestamp issue.

I personally feel the whole firmware feels pretty cheap and flaky and i am deeply disappointed - for not much more i could have bought a basic dell/hp server with a proper cpu and/or put my own drives in it with either win server or freenas on it and i'm already wishing (as is so often the case with these things) that i'd read this forum BEFORE shelling the £600 for the drive..

Well thats the bad news, the good news for the rest of the folks here is that I am a windows developer 'by trade' and i have already started work on an app to replace the functionality of xcopy but make allowances for these differences in filestamp and/or use other criteria for determining if the files have changed (thinking either a dat file like synctoy uses or a combination of archive bit setting/size analysis).

i know there are other apps out there but I'm writing this from scratch just for the purpose as I reckon the code monkeys at buffalo are unlikely to invest any effort into fixing this and i need to get this working quicker than they ever will -  i should be able to get this running over the next few days and i will release it for no charge when its ready.

Incidentally a quick fix is to use a container based backup solution. Windows Backup and Backup Exec are both happy locating the BackupToDisk location on the drive and they will be unaffected by this issue as they retain there own filestamp info inside that backup media although this doesnt really solve the problem if you use the drive as a destination in 'normal' file transactions.

I wonder if that is why buffalo are now offering noveo backup (or whatever it is called) free if purchased after a certain date.

I will post again with results or updates as soon as i can.

AndyCopper

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 02:58:52 AM »

Hi  lojk

thanks for that! I am planning to do the same thing using python (for widows) so I'll post my stuff up too).

It's a strange oversight on buffalos part and I'm surprised that a 'moderator' hasn't pick up on this.

I've read that you can improve things by changing the SAMBA settings but with this box you would have to hack into SSH and invalidate you warrantee in the process...

Cheers

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 06:56:40 AM »

You cannot SSH or "hack" these units to change the SAMBA version. 

AndyCopper

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 07:15:45 AM »

I haven't yet tried it on this model but I have previously managed it on an old buffalo and very recent netgear NAS.

Here's a link to someone who claims to have managed:

http://www.trejan.com/projects/tera/

From what I've read you don't need to change the version of samba but change settings. I won't bother looking into this unless it's absolutely vital!

AndyCopper

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 07:47:33 AM »

Hi JoshC

I've just noticed that you're a moderator. Is there any way you can get this bug escalated so desperate users like myself don't consider anarchy!

This bug is a real pain because many people buy this device especially for xcopy, robocopy or rich copy use.

I'm going to have to solve this or return the unit within the next two weeks

A

And you're right, google is my SSH friend!

lojk

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »

Current work schedules have held my plans for a custom app (i wanted to do it as a WPF test app) but to be honest i should be able to hack it out in a few hours in winforms/console if i could just find a mind-window wide enough..

The reason the impetus declined is as an interim measure i had to shift the main storage location back into my server (i.e. picked the good from the bad drives out of my previous array ) and im just using the terastation as a destination for a windows 7 backup (to disk) - mostly because my virginmedia online vault thing wont backup network locations and because the linkstation is not customisable (i.e. would love to put freenas on it) beyond the current firwmware - you cant even access the configuration files from a simple (Advanced User) config page that would solve most peoples problems....

its operation as a low power unit is great and works really well as a torrent downloader but its performance in a Raid5 is pretty weak and i had hoped i would be able to replace most of my server pc functions with it but sadly not - that still has to stay on for now ; for the 600£ i spent i could have just bought a load more disks and spares for my current array. I only recently found out that buffalo do have some windows 2003 based variants that i'd have bought if i'd known about them (and.or this problem).

Obviously the firmware on the box is a *nix variant - and all the linux distros that i know dont have this problem - how hard can it be to include the latest / correct build of the SAMBA or NTFS drivers (whicheer one is actually causing the problem) that does support the required date precision and fix this ridiculous problem once and for all - for now i'll keep improvising but i'm defiently not happy with this issue.

That said i have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH wireless router that i can strongly receommend - its briliiance was the basis on which i took the gamble on the Terastation - how can you get one device so right and spoil another reasonably good (value for money) one with such a stupid problem.

I'm with you andy - these chaps are obivously reading these forums and are well aware of a long standing limitation in their devices that could  IMHO easily be argued makes them 'not fit for purpose' under uk trade law as xcopy is defintely a normal usage of a NAS box.

primacomputer

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 01:07:32 AM »
Any solution to this? I see this is an old thread but I'm having the exact same problem on my brand new linkstations and this was the first result on my Google search on the problem. I can confirm this isn't a samba/fat/ntfs issue as I've been using xcopy to backup to linux boxes for well over a decade. Mods, This is not the only serious defect I've come across in this product. Your responses (or lack there of) here and other places is pathetic. I'm going to take these pos back to the store and exchange it for something that works. Spread the word guys. Buffalo sells rubbish.

AndyCopper

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 04:19:45 AM »

Hi,

The short answer is NO. Because I didn't want to invalidate the warranty I didn't ssh in to sort out the problem, (this is a work item not a personal item). With the timestamp not working the get around is either to write a script that keeps it's own logs or to purchase a program that works in this way. After trying a few I ended up with http://www.superflexible.com/ which has worked on our network without issue for about a year now.

The fact the Bufferlo haven't resolved this is somewhat hilarious and I for one won't be purchasing a product from them either professionally or for personal use again!

Hope this helps.

sharpsense

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2021, 05:05:10 AM »
I do not know if anyone answered this. I read the problem. I also just had the same problem. I fixed the problem by going to Buffalo LinkStation config page and turning off the automatic time. I manually set the time. After that, I no longer had trouble with my script getting the correct last date modified time. Now it is fantastic again. So there is no questions I want you to know I have LinkStation 210. I am very sorry but I cannot keep checking messages. I am just trying to help. Have a nice life.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 05:07:41 AM by sharpsense »