Author Topic: Everything I could have done while waiting for an Advance RMA to be completed...  (Read 11463 times)

discgolfdc

• Calf

This is my story. The public should know.

I was 38 years old when I first submitted my Advance RMA request to Buffalo Technology. You see, my TeraStation Pro II wouldn't connect to my network. It was giving me a "No Link" indication on the status screen. I had done some research online to find out if there were any known issues surrounding the connection of a Buffalo TeraStation Pro II to a gigabit router (I now have a D-Link DIR-655 ... upgraded from the old Linksys WRT54G), and got mixed results -- nothing conclusive. I tried switching all sorts of things out. Cables, LAN ports, even routers (yes, I went back to the Linksys to see if that was the problem). For a brief shining moment, my TSII decided to link back up one more time to its old buddy, the Linksys. I thought I had answered my own question about the gigabit router issue, but then.....destiny. The TSII wouldn't even link back up with its old buddy. I guess it felt snubbed. You know what they say... "Hell hath no fury like a TeraStation Pro II scorned." With that, I finally decided that I would make the dreaded call to technical support, knowing that I would probably not speak to anyone until I had the chance to turn at least 39.

Luckily, they answered the phone just days before my 39th birthday (yes, I was on hold). After a minor argument about just how long I was on hold, the support guru asked me about all the different things I'd switched out, to which I replied, stating that all of the above had been undertaken. I then directly posed the question I had in my mind originally, that of the prospect of connection problems to a gigabit router. Without even flinching, the guru said, "none." I figured that nipped that in the bud -- no connection problems to a gigabit router. I somehow felt a bit more empowered about my purchase of the D-Link. Anyhow, then he mentioned something about booting the machine into EM mode. I thought, "Ah! I will try that." I did. No luck -- and no link. It didn't matter if I booted it into normal mode, EM mode, or any other mode. It didn't want to link up. No matter what the tech support people told me (I had to call at least 3 times, and I am now 45 years old -- I didn't even get birthday cards from them), there seemed to be nothing they could do to woo my TSII into doing its job. The decision was made to go ahead and swap the unit out for a different one. Because I had been on hold for a total of 7 years, and the unit's stated warranty was 3 years, they decided to make an administrative exception and honor the warranty.

They gave me two options... The standard RMA and the advance RMA. The standard RMA would involve my shipping my unit to Buffalo Technology and their replacing it upon receipt. The advance RMA would involve their shipping one out within 2-3 days of their receipt of proof of purchase and a credit card to be used as a security deposit against non-receipt of my return unit. Wanting to stay on top of my regular backup habits, I opted for the advance RMA.

The very next day, I filled out their online form and submitted the required additional information per their instructions. I'm usually super-diligent with these things, especially when there's something I want on the other side of doing so. Days away from my 46th birthday, I received an acknowledgement of the fact that all necessary information had been properly received. And so it went. I figured I should be receiving another unit in short order, so that I could complete the RMA process and get on with my digital life.

...but it was not to be.

A number of RMA status checks and, yes, another call to technical support (and 4 more years), later no one has been able to give me any concrete information as to when my replacement unit should so much as ship out from the Buffalo Technology "where"-house.

I'm now pushing 57 (they say we get better with age), and I still don't so much as have a clue as to when I'll receive my replacement. I have four SATA drives with redundant information on them just ready to fire up again, once I receive a competent unit, but I'm fairly certain that, with all the years that have gone by, SATA is likely an outdated technology by now. I hope I can find a few adapters on eBay or Craigslist. I might just have to fire up my own tinkering spirit and develop some.

At this late stage of my life, I look back and think to myself, "I might have still had data access during my mid-life crisis had I purchased a unit with more adept customer support from another company." I wonder if Seagate still makes those Black Armor units that I think I remember seeing back in my late 30s. I'd sure like to have one of those.

For the love of all things holy, please take this into consideration before you purchase a Buffalo Technology product. If everything goes well, it's not a bad unit. If something goes wrong, however (remember that guy named Murphy), once you're in the position to have technical support/warranty/replacement becomes a factor, you're in over your head, and will likely have many years shaved off your life (like I have) just waiting..... waiting..... waiting.....

I could have done some of the traveling I always wanted to do.

I could have written a few novels.

I could have walked from Florida to Russia (yes, I know there’s water in the way. I’d figure it out).

I could have spent more time with my grandchildren.

I could have authored a new computer operating system…and marketed it.

I could have watched the tree in my backyard grow.

I could have spent much less time

.....waiting.....

…had I not purchased a Buffalo product.

Message Edited by discgolfdc on 07-07-2009 11:20 AM

drmemory

• Big Bull
Product was sent out on Tuesday, using Fedex overnight shipping. Sorry we couldn't get this one out faster, but delay was due to out-of-stock in our Austin warehouse.