Author Topic: Not so SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express 2-Port Interface Card IFC-PCIE2U3  (Read 3575 times)

PrfectFromNowOn

• Calf

I just purchased a Buffalo Technology SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express 2-Port Interface Card IFC-PCIE2U3 from Amazon.com for my home desktop and am not getting data transfer speeds any higher than what I'm getting through my USB 2.0 ports (~35mb/s) when transferring large files to my Buffalo USB 3.0 1 TB Drivestation external harddrive. I tried updating the card driver through your website, but after each attempt when I look through device manager is still is showing the current driver as the original that came with on the cd, not sure if this is the problem though. I've tried updating my mobo BIOS to latest version and have tried re-seating the card but still am not seeing a change in transfer speeds.

I called customer service and the rep was not very helpful, stating the bottleneck is because I have the card in a PCIe 1.0 x1 slot but after doing some research, the PCIe 1.0 is capable of 250mb/s so I don't understand how that would be the case. He said I should return the card. I thought I try one more time to see if anybody had any other ideas or solutions to try and increase my data transfer speed. I understand I'll never get stated 5GB/s, but I should be able to get speeds higher than USB 2.0. For what it's worth, I'm also using the Buffalo TurboCopy application that came with the Buffalo external hard drive.

My other idea is to buy a USB 3.0 flash drive and try tranfering data between the two 3.0 devices thus bypassing hard drive if that's the bottleneck, but I'd rather not fork out more dough for a flash drive I may not need.

Here is what I'm running:
MoBo: Asus M2A-VM w/ latest BIOS
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Processor ADO3600IAA4CU - 2.0GHz, 2 x 256KB Cache, Dual Core
Video Card: ASUS GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1024MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0
RAM: 2x 1024mb PC4200
HD: Maxtor DiamondMax 21 200GB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 8MB, ATA-100, EIDE

Thanks for your help!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Not so SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express 2-Port Interface Card IFC-PCIE2U3
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 05:12:44 AM »

Unless your expansion slots support PCI express 2.0 or higher (which they dont) you will not get anything greater than USB 2.0 speeds.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

angelicaB

• Calf

Thanks for the post. It was helpful with my concerns.