Author Topic: Buffalo USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter IFC-EC2U3/UC does not work with USB 3.0 - only USB 2!  (Read 5189 times)

Olsm

• Calf

?I bought the Buffalo USB 3.0 Expresscard Adapter many months ago, I think it was in January. I also bought one Western Digital My Book Essential 3 TB harddrive. I installed the included USB 3 expresscard driver, and plugged in the HDD. The HDD started and I heard ding-ding in Windows, I mean the sound you get when connecting USB devices to your computer. The HDD did not show up as a drive, it just didnt show up at all, it was invisible, it wasnt even visible in the Device Manager. I tried it with a USB 2 cable and it worked just fine, but I didnt get the expected speed as it was not using USB 3.0 and I got the message "This device can performe better if using a USB 3 port..." of course. The HDD was self powered with a power adopter so it shouldnt make a different, but I tried just in case to connect the USB power adapter for the ExpressCard to USB 3 adapter from Buffalo. However, that didnt make a difference.

After googling, checking forums for possible solutions, and sending mails to Buffalo and Western Digital support for days, Nothing lead to a solution. I did find some users with the same issue, but only a few of those had a solution to their problem. Those who had a solution said it worked after swapping the USB 3 cable. Most people said that there are no solution, because Western Digital HDD's are not tested with USB 3 hubs before sold, and that they never worked with USB 3 hubs of any kind. So then I believed I had bought an incompatible HDD, and decided to not waste more money and just use USB 2 as usual, even its slow as hell and I needed those two extra USB ports anyways. Now about one week ago one person at school wanted to buy my Western Digital HDD for a cheaper price, so I sold it and started looking for a new HDD. I wanted 3 TB and remembered Buffalo's HDD's was max 2 TB, but there was now a new HDD with up to 3 TB storage. And in the information about the expresscard to usb3 port, it clearly stated that it worked with HDD's such as those HDD's from Buffalo. The name of the Buffalo HDD I bought is: Buffalo Technology Buffalo 3TB DriveStation Axis USB 3.0 External Hard Drive HD-LB3.0TU3.

To my surprise, this didnt work with the new external HDD from Buffalo either. I'm also using the included cable, and not the old cable from the Western Digital HDD. However, it was a little different with this buffalo HDD. At first I connected and it started, and got shut off after 5 seconds. Then at second try when I plugged in the USB power adapter in the expresscard port, the HDD was detected by the computer and worked as a USB 2 port because it first came the balloon saying the device can performe faster in usb 3 superspeed port etc...Then at third try, I unplugged the USB power adopter cable, and it was detected as a USB 2 device every time I connect it now. Also, the HDD light is green, I guess that means USB 2 mode and blue would mean USB 3 mode. I checked the transfer speed, and it was the same 27 MB/S like my old external USB 2 HDD.

I have tried alot more than just this, and I feel I would have been writing all night long to include it all, so I think I will stop it now.

So this is my current USB 3 device: http://www.buffalotech.com/products/accessories/interface-card-adapters/usb-30-expresscard-adapter/

And this is my current HDD (The 3 TB version): http://www.buffalotech.com/products/desktop-hard-drives/usb-30/drivestation-axis-usb-30-hd-lbu3/

So can anyone please help me? This is so frustrating, I bought this so long time ago and nothing works, I'm just getting the feeling that I wanna give up, but I do want to archieve the great speeds of USB 3 as I transfer allot to and from the HDD.

Thank you in advance! :)

drmemory

• Big Bull

what computer (model/mfr) do you have? Do you have a USB3 conflict in your device manager?

Brent

• Calf

I am having the same issue.  Did you ever find a resolution???

drmemory

• Big Bull

Again ---what computer/mfr/model are you using?

Brent

• Calf

I moved my question here as my issue is slightly different than OP's.

Olsm

• Calf

Sorry guys. I got an answer from the support team, they said this:

"USB3 is a new technology, so remember to install drivers from the CD, otherwise
Windows may not recognize the card.

Thank you,

Seth
Buffalo Technical Support?"

I replied that I ofcourse have done that and tried to reinstall too.

Then I got this answer:

"You said nothing shows up in Device Manager, but what about Disk Management?

Thank you,

Seth

Buffalo Technical Support?"

I said it didnt show up in disk management either, and I got this answer:
What are the specs on the power supply on your computer? It's possible the ports
might not be getting enough power.

Thank you,
Seth Z?

I was thinking I have no **bleep**ing idea, I can try to open it to check it, but I'll wait till the weekend. After a while I just gave a **bleep**, as I thought the power supply was more than good enough to handle that adapter, and how would it matter when I use a HDD with external power cable? I also tried without any equpment at all, so it cant be that the power supply is not good enough. So in the end, I just gave up on this and I forgot to check this forum, I wish it had instant notification by email when someone reply to the thread.

anyways, now I came back here because I want to find out whats wrong. There's coming a new usb 3 expresscard adapter (not from buffalo), that doesnt stick out from the side of the laptop, but it has only one usb 3 input though. The same company comes with a 4 port usb 3 hub also, so I think I will buy from them because my experience with buffalo is **bleep**! Well, I would like to find out what causes this issue anyways so I can use this at home and the other while "traveling".

HERE IS MY COMPUTER INFO:

Clevo M570TU/ETU (Not sure if its TU or ETU) - its similar to M570RU but with better components

Intel Core 2 Extreme x9100 @ 3.06 GHZ

Nvidia Geforce 280M GTX 1 GB

4 GB RAM

OCZ Vertex 2 240 GB SSD

I can provide more info if needed.

Did anyone find a solution for this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Olsm

• Calf
Hello???
Did anyone find a solution?

Thanks in advance!