Author Topic: BR3D-12U3 (Bluray burner + Mac)  (Read 5980 times)

JD80

• Calf
BR3D-12U3 (Bluray burner + Mac)
« on: May 04, 2011, 11:54:59 AM »

I just purchased a Buffalo BR3D-12U3 MediaStation to use as a backup system (burn files to bluray). After reading the Amazon.com description where it states "Simply plug it in to your PC or Mac® and save or back up..." in several locations, I didn't even think there would be an issue using it with my iMac. That is until I got it (delivered) and read on the box that it's compatible with Windows and not Mac. What? Although this isn't my question, I must say that this is misleading advertising. Either it works on PC and Mac or it doesn't. Anyway. Now I need a solution...

I don't intend on creating actual bluray movies with this burner. All I need it for is to burn backups of files onto the bluray disks with the potential (of course) of retrieving those files in the future if needed. In other words, I'm using the bluray disks as an alternative secondary backup system in case my external drive fails. Q: Can someone recommend software that will allow me to use this burner for this purpose on my iMac? 

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: BR3D-12U3 (Bluray burner + Mac)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »

You cannot. Amazon wrote up the product page wrong. Mac's cannot use blu rays by default. I've only heard of Mac's using blu ray in a very expensive video production center where they modified their system heavily to get it to work.

JD80

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:57:57 AM »

I just tested the Mediastation with Roxio Toast 11 on my iMac and was able to burn a bluray backup disk! I haven't tested if it burns bluray movies, but that's not my purpose. Glad I don't have to return the burner!

PSS

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »

is the reply to this by the poster correct? can you use Roxio on a Mac to make a backup to Buffalo Blu-Ray products. this is an important question given iclouds 30 rotation policy for photo stream.?

biken-home

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 07:25:20 AM »

It is correct - I installed Roxio Toast last year and was able to burn Blu-Ray discs from an HD camcorder with no problem.  It also allowed me to burn custom movies made with iMovie.  The PROBLEM, is that I just installed the Toast update to 11.1 and now I keep getting a 'Medium Error' to both the Buffalo drive and my MacBook Pro's internal drive (for regular DVDs) when I try to burn.  Roxio's support says it is a Firmware issue, but I can't find any firmware updates for either drive that are available.  Grrrr.