Author Topic: BR-816FBS wont play SOME BD movies  (Read 4886 times)

wthigoh

• Calf
BR-816FBS wont play SOME BD movies
« on: April 12, 2011, 02:29:27 AM »

Some, not all, BD movies will fail to mount.  Inserting the disc results in "no disc present".  It doesn't show up in file manager, etc., so it doesn't matter what software Itry to use for playing the movie, because the drive simply doesn't think there is even a disc in it.  This is the case while running either Windows 7 or Linux 2.6.

The same discs that don't load in this drive, do load just fine in several other players.

I am running the latest firmware version 1.2. I also verified that the region code is correct.

Tech support says "the drive can't play some movies maybe because we didn't get an agreement with the media provider" but I don't think that sounds right.

Is anyone else having this problem?  I can't play "Iron Man" or "Transformers" but I can play "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "G.I. Joe" for example.  All my movieswork fine in my other players.

Thanks.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: BR-816FBS wont play SOME BD movies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:00:29 AM »

These movies may be using the newer standard of Blu ray. I could try it out for you and see what happens. I have Iron man, so I can test it out with that. 

wthigoh

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »

Thank you.  I look forward to reading the results.

I found a movie that barely mounts after a lot of noisy grinding sounds from the drive.  The drive seems to be struggling to read the disc but the disc is pristinely clean with absolutely no visible smears, dust, scratches or anything.  After the disc mounts, the opening and decrypting takes forever (I am still waiting as I type this when it normally just takes about a minute).  It's failing to read some sectors, complaining about "MEDIUM ERROR".  Again the player in the living room reads it just fine.  The title is "Quarantine" (not that its a very good movie).   Oh and the movies are all legit from the store, not pirated copies.

Thanks again.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:32:33 PM »

I used cyberlink 2010 and I didnt have any issues playing Iron man. I have to say though, it took longer than I thought to load, and I'm running a high end Windows 7 machine with an i7 920 processor, 6GB of fast Ram, a GTX 285 OCX and a solid state hard drive. You might want to check with the Cyberlink BD advisor and see if your computer can handle Blu ray. Iron man is also BD live enabled... So I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I tried Star Trek 2 on blu ray and it loaded up very fast and played right away. That blu ray has no BD live.

wthigoh

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:32:42 AM »

My system is also an i7 920, 6GB, GTX275 connected to 30" Dell 3008 monitor.  Not SS disks though, but decent array of 1.5TB 7200RPM's SATA II.  I am sure it can handle since it has no problem playing other BD movies.  Its not that it can't play Iron Man, its that the disc is not even detected in the drive.

Thanks for checking.  It's interesting that yours loads up but mine doesn't.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:35:05 AM »

What software are you using? If you just try and access the drive through Windows it will show as no disk. I used cyberlink 10. Is it just the BD live disks that are having issues playing?

wthigoh

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 01:47:20 AM »

Today I went with my hunch, bought and installed a $59 Asus BD ROM drive (BR-04B2T) and just as I suspected, it loads movie discs that the Buffalo drive choked on, flawlessly.  In fact, I am making a backup of "Quarantine" right now, and my PC doesn't even notice.  With the Buffalo drive, even when it did recognize a disc, my PC would be useless while the disc was being accessed.  I still have more movies to check, but so far where the Buffalo failed, the Asus succeeds.

In summary, the Buffalo drive was DOA (perhaps by bad design) from day 1.  The Buffalo BR-816FBS only plays certain BD's and not others, while my new Asus drive is having absolutely no issues what so ever.  I just wish I would have done this in the first place.

Thanks a lot for trying to help with this.  I think I am done troubleshooting the POS Buffalo drive.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 08:28:49 AM »

Sorry to hear that your unit was defective. You could get a replacement from them if you've had it for less than a year.