Author Topic: Abysmal performance from my IFC-PCIE2U3  (Read 3238 times)

bereid

• Calf
Abysmal performance from my IFC-PCIE2U3
« on: March 26, 2011, 05:58:07 PM »

I have installed the IFC-PCIE2U3 in my Dell Precision Workstation T3400, running Windows XP SP-3; the installation of both hardware and driver went smoothly, and the Device Manager shows the expected Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 devices, both Host Controller and Root Hub, and with no device conflicts indicated. The driver version reported is 2.0.26.0, dated 2010/09/30. The Dell BIOS setup utility shows PCIe slot 3 populated by a USB device, and the Windows Device Manager properties confirm that the Renesas controller is in that same slot.

I am using the USB 3.0 interface to write very large multimedia files to an external HDD. The connected device is a Thermaltake 5G 5.0Gbps USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive Docking Station. I have populated the docking station with two different Western Digital SATA drives, and have tried both ports of the USB 3.0 adapter, all with the same disappointing result.

When writing to the external drive with various sources (local WD Raptor HDD or external NAS with 100 Base-T wired ethernet), the maximum transfer speed I have measured is about 52 MBytes / Sec.

I have explored every option I can think of to explain the abysmal performance, and find a solution, but I am stumped. Since the cost is not excessive, I'm about to give it up, and purchase a different USB 3.0 card to replace this one, and keep my fingers crossed.

Can anyone suggest a way to identify [and hopefully resolve] the problem?

Thank you for any help,
Bruce