Author Topic: Buffalo IFC-PCIE2U3 and Renesas USB 3.0 host controller compatibility  (Read 13423 times)

dieu

• Calf

There is a conflict between Buffalo’s IFC-PCIE2U3 and Asus’ Sabertooth X58 motherboard. Specifically, the Renesas USB 3.0 host controller found on Asus’ Sabertooth X58 motherboard.  Doing a bit of research, I understand that both the IFC-PCIE2U3 and the Renesas USB 3.0 host controller both utilize NEC’s 720200 chip. In sum, both fail to function together or individually. Initially, I did not install the IFC-PCIE2U3 and tested the Renesas USB 3.0 host controller with a basic transfer test by copying 360GB of music to the HD-HX1.5TU3. Connecting Buffalo’s HD-HX1.5TU3 to the Renesas USB 3.0 host controller, transfer speeds were deficient at 50 MB/sec.  Next, I uninstalled the Renesas USB 3.0 host controller driver and attempted to install the IFC-PCIE2U3. 

I downloaded/unzipped file “IFC-PCI2U3_100”, opened the folder “IFC-PCIE2U3_100 Driver” and launched “IFNavi.”  After the prompts, the installation read successful.  Same result, transfer speeds were abysmal at sub-50 MB/sec.  After numerous changes to the configuration such as disabling the Renesas USB 3.0 host controller within the BIOS, inserting the IFC-PCIE2U3 in PCIEX16 and PCIEX4 slots, nothing changed.  In fact, the IFC-PCIE2U3 was no longer recognized in Device Manager (Win 7). Attempting to install “DriveNavi”, resulted in repeated BSOD’s. Windows 7 only recognized the HX1.5TU3 when it was connected to USB 2.0.

Due to the repeated configuration changes, neither the IFC-PCIE2U3 nor the Renesas USB 3.0 host controller is shown in the Device Manager. As I had stated in a prior post, I installed the IFC-PCIE2U3 in a PCIEX16 slot of Asus’ P6T motherboard and transfer speeds when copying the same 360GB of music were sustained at 90 MB/sec.  Thus, it must be the Renesas USB 3.0 host controller of the Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard that is causing compatibility problems.  

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: Buffalo IFC-PCIE2U3 and Renesas USB 3.0 host controller compatibility
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »

Sounds like your BIOS, or drivers may have become corrupt as well (devices not being recognized).  I'd default the BIOS (twice, to ensure everything is flushed out) and make sure your onboard chipset and drivers are working correctly, before proceding.

dieu

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:45:58 PM »

I performed your recommendations and then some. The deal is the Buffalo’s IFC-PCIE2U3 is not compatible with the Sabertooth X58 or vice versa. The IFC-PCIE2U3 and the on-board NEC USB 3.0 conflict with each other. You folks really need to get the Sabertooth X58 in house to do some compatibility testing. As both devices feature the same NEC USB 3.0 chip, they rather cancel each other out. Both perform poorly and the Buffalo driver for the IFC-PCIE2U3 conflicts with the Renesas USB 3.0 driver. Neither controller truly functions independently. In order to get the IFC-PCIE2U3 to “operate”, I have to install the Asus Renesas USB 3.0 driver. If I install the Buffalo driver, the IFC-PCIE2U3 is not recognized. If you want to talk offline, we can discuss the details. However, I am not going to waste any more time with this issue. I have performed two Windows 7 64 reinstallations and the problem persists. None of these problems existed with the IFC-PCIE2U3 when installed in Asus’ P6T. I am not angry but this issue needs to be escalated to Buffalo engineers. 

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:20:02 PM »

This post information has been sent to the engineers.

dieu

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:53:01 PM »

Thank you!  :)

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »

still waiting on an answer from them

njschultz

• Calf

I just purchased the USB controller with a brand new Western Digital 3.0 Tb external drive.   I have Windows 7 SP1 and ASUS P6t Deluxe X58 chipset.  Driver CD installed without a hitch.  After trying to copy a large number of files the drive "loses" its connection with the motherboard.  A message comes on the screen during standard Windows copy that the Files on the destination drive (the USB 3.0 drive) has been renamed/deleted/changed....it is an idiot light error because what it REALLY means is that:

is the USB 3.0 host controller has stopped responding and cannot refresh windows explorer and so while the drive contents appear navigat(able) in windows explorer the drive is actually no longer connected via the host controller's driver....very bad.

--A "ghost" image of the directory is navigatable in Windows Explorer but this appears to only be an echo...

--Disabling and re-enabling the driver in the device manager is the only way to give the host controller a kick in the behind to re-recognize the attached drive/device.

--Consequently.....I have to REBOOT THE MACHINE just to reload the driver so that the drive can be re-reccognized.....

Bottom-line as I see it.....the drive is fine when working as a USB 2.0 drive..............when connected to the drive behaves erratically as described above....and so it is definitely the controller's driver that is the cause.....

I am using 2.0.26 driver version date 9/20/2010

PLEASE REMEDY...this apparently has been a known problem for quite some time....

dieu

• Calf

I had the P6T Deluxe and the Buffalo controller worked great!  The problem I ran into was with the Buffalo controller and embedded USB 3.0 (NEC) controllers. Anyway, have you tried a different PCI slot?

njschultz

• Calf

Can't see how changing slots would make a difference but I will try...

Did you get resolution......did you get the USB 3 connected drives to work consistenly and get the performance up to the vaunted 100 Mb ++ levels????  I am using the small PCI-express slot next to the CPU....for the controller card...

njschultz

• Calf

oh yeah...............I forgot to say that even did as some suggested............and I put the power cable connection on a connector cable that has NO other device connections on it...so the USB 3 controller-based devices are free to suck as much power as they want on my 850W power supply...

so I dare anyone (company/??) to say that it's not the driver (currently running now the 4/23/2011 2.0.34 version.

drmemory

• Big Bull

there's  new drivers and FW out at http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/

FW 1.02

This will help with some conflicts, however, some conflicts may occur with different chipsets.

LDighera

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »

Installing ????????????"Buffalo Technology DriveStation SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express 2-Port Interface Card IFC-PCIE2U3" with 4GB of RAM installed caused the WinXP (32) system to fail to recognize the card.  Removing 1GB of RAM solved the issue, however I intend to upgrade to Win7(64) which requires 4GB of RAM. 

Is there a workaround for WinXP?

Will Win7(64) with 4GB of RAM recognize the IFC-PCIE2U3?

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »

Windows XP 32bit can detect 4GB of memory, but PCI and PCI express cards use addressing in the 3-4GB memory range. The BIOS will probably only see 3-3.4GB, reserving higher memory up to 4GB for the express cards. Your 4GB of memory is probably conflicting with the PCIE2U3 addresses.

When you switch to 64bit,  this shouldn't be an issue, as win7 Home premium 64bit can detect up to 16GB and win7 Pro and above can detect up to 192GB of RAM.

LDighera

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »

Many thanks for your very prompt and informative response to my message.

I read this on page one of the manual:

"Not all peripheral devices support Windows Server operating
    systems. Buffalo supports use in Server environments when using
    supported Buffalo products. If 4 GB of memory or more are
    installed on 32-bit versions of Windows Server operating systems,
    the card may not function properly."

And I figured that was the reason my WinXP(32) OS was not recognizing
the newly installed USB-3 card.

Subsequently, I removed one GB of RAM, and cleaned the PCIx slot gold
fingers with a camel's hair brush and compressed air, then rebooted,
and it functioned nominally. 

After receiving your response, I reinstalled the 1GB DDR3
RAM module, bringing the total back to 4GB, and booted the system. 

All seems fully functional now.  I am able to access the drives
attached to the IFC-PCIE2U3, and writing 2.4GB takes about 30 seconds!

I guess the true cause of my issue was the dirt that may have
accumulated on the PCI express connector gold fingers over the three
years it was open to dust in the environment. 

Please accept my sincere apology and gratitude for your assistance
with this matter.

Best regards,

Larry Dighera

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »

You are welcome, let us know, after you use it for a while, how the product works out for you.